Thinking of changing golf clubs - any advice please

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have always been a Ping person and have G30 at present which I bought in 2014.

I will be 70 next year, have gone up by 9 shots to 21 in the last 4 years in the main because of arthritis, bad right hip which means being unable to turn my shoulder and coming over the top.Hit a driver around 170 yards which means invariably a rescue 3/4/5 for my second shot.

At present I have a driver, 5 wood 4/5/6 hybrid 78,9, PW, GW, SW,LW, chipper which works for me and putter.

Looking at The Ping G400SFT, same hybrids and undecided whether a 3/5 wood or a 3 hybrid. Also undecided whether to change the irons.

Any help/ advice would be appreciated on forgiving clubs and which of 3/5 wood or 3 hybrid would be preferable.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I missed the bit about why you want to change....🤔

Save the money and spend it on regular physio to keep as much movement in that hip as possible for as long as possible.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry, I want to change to improve my golf. I have had my existing set for approaching 5 years. It will probably be my last set of clubs and if I wait 2/3 years I may, hope not be around 28 handicap and will not bother.

Despite my high handicap i am competitive and whilst not minted can aford to change along with physio which I have had in the past.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
TBH, given your age and your condition, I'm not entirely convinced changing clubs will make that much of a difference, however, most of the game is played between the ears, so if you reckon it might by all means.

Just one things though a good club, as the G400sft is, it will not over come bad mechanics.

Neeko1988

Visit site
I would recommend going to see a proper fitter and explaining what issues you have and what clubs your interested in and get some proper fitted clubs. Would be well worth it. All the best

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If your own physical limitations are limiting what you can achieve I'd also suggest a visit to someone who has the kit to measure launch angles etc. You will gain more yards by optimising what you have in terms of swing.

Another suggestion would be to ask about grips that are specifically available to arthritis sufferers. Lamkin do them.

After that, its choose what you like the feel of from those that give the best results.

Good luck.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Go to a decent fitter who can spec shafts and heads to work with your limitations and help you get the most from your swing and your body. Old adage though but I'd also look to spend some time over the winter working on the short game and putting and this is usually a quick way to save a few shots and shouldn't place too much strain on the body

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have always been a Ping person and have G30 at present which I bought in 2014.

I will be 70 next year, have gone up by 9 shots to 21 in the last 4 years in the main because of arthritis, bad right hip which means being unable to turn my shoulder and coming over the top.Hit a driver around 170 yards which means invariably a rescue 3/4/5 for my second shot.

At present I have a driver, 5 wood 4/5/6 hybrid 78,9, PW, GW, SW,LW, chipper which works for me and putter.

Looking at The Ping G400SFT, same hybrids and undecided whether a 3/5 wood or a 3 hybrid. Also undecided whether to change the irons.

Any help/ advice would be appreciated on forgiving clubs and which of 3/5 wood or 3 hybrid would be preferable.

If you don't already have them, get the lightest weight graphite shafts you can to maximise your swing speed and try and hang on to as much distance as you can.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cheers guys. Perhaps my health is not quite as bad as it first sounded.

I manage to play 2/3 times a week and go to the gym 2/3 times a week

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers guys. Perhaps my health is not quite as bad as it first sounded.

I manage to play 2/3 times a week and go to the gym 2/3 times a week

G400 range are great clubs, worth looking at the G700 irons too if you a Ping guy and looking to maximise your distance.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry, I want to change to improve my golf. I have had my existing set for approaching 5 years. It will probably be my last set of clubs and if I wait 2/3 years I may, hope not be around 28 handicap and will not bother.

Despite my high handicap i am competitive and whilst not minted can aford to change along with physio which I have had in the past.
Thanks for the clarity - it wasn't meant as a clever question!

Others have given all the responses I would have added in the improvement arena. Ive a 70 year old paying partner and he recently went back down from 22 to 18 pretty much on the back of being properly fitted for his driver. Having said that he gave up on his fitted irons and is doing amazing things with his wifes cast offs (lightweight graphite...)

I'm on the same curve; just a few years and strokes behind. I keep switching between a set with 85g graphite and KBS Tour S at 118g; equally I've hybrids with heavy and light shafts etc etc the biggest problem for me is accepting rather than fighting the inevitable.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm over 60 and have a slow swing speed and changed to soft flex graphite shafts which certainly helps and would be worth considering, I use a Calloway 5 wood which is easy to hit and goes around 170 yards, I use this club a lot because the loft its a very reliable club.