Things That Gladden The Heart

AliMc

Visit site
My mates sports shop, run by his son now, sells ProV1's at £15 a dozen, they are collected by an individual at a well known upmarket club near me, as new, that will do me for the winter ?

AliMc

Visit site
All is not totally lost in the UK after all.

Only Connect now has more viewers than Eastenders. :love:
I don't think that's too surprising, to me Eastenders, from what I've seen on the trailers anyway, is mind numbing garbage, why is it still made ?
I watch Only Connect every week, don't get too many right in the first two rounds but usually get a few in the connecting wall and quite a few in the missing vowels, surprisingly despite not going to Uni I usually get a few right in University Challenge that follows it ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Though not a regular listener to Classic FM through the year (preferring BBC R3 offering as better mix), I really enjoy it this time of the year as it plays loads of carols and other Christmas ‘classical’ music through Advent. Just a lovely seasonal backdrop.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
All is not totally lost in the UK after all.

Only Connect now has more viewers than Eastenders. :love:

I wonder why :sneaky:

hvzkdqdggg151.jpg

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That our lad has been staying with us over the last few days as the tour he’s been working on has had serious troubles - serious drunkenness in the crowd and homophobic and other abuse directed at the artist, leading to a huge brawl and attempted assault on the artist and assaults on venue staff and audience members at a gig in Dover three nights ago

The tour has now been cancelled. Its probably going to turn out OK for our lad…by which I mean not disastrous, but it has been good to be able to support him as he has been able to share his worries and fears with us.

As an aside he observes that the level of drunkenness and abuse and lack of respect that gig, venue and nightclub staff are getting since reopening a few months ago is much worse than pre-pandemic. He knows not why. But it’s grim. Vaccine passports anyone…?

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That our lad has been staying with us over the last few days as the tour he’s been working on has had serious troubles - serious drunkenness in the crowd and homophobic and other abuse directed at the artist, leading to a huge brawl and attempted assault on the artist and assaults on venue staff and audience members at a gig in Dover three nights ago

The tour has now been cancelled. Its probably going to turn out OK for our lad…by which I mean not disastrous, but it has been good to be able to support him as he has been able to share his worries and fears with us.

As an aside he observes that the level of drunkenness and abuse and lack of respect that gig, venue and nightclub staff are getting since reopening a few months ago is much worse than pre-pandemic. He knows not why. But it’s grim. Vaccine passports anyone…?

How are you attaching vaccine passports to a breach of security??? What correlation other than one persons account do you have for increased drunkeness, abuse and a lack of respect compared to pre-covid levels. Everyone I know (including an artist that has been touring the UK) has been really amazed at how the public have reacted to live performances again and that the atmosphere created each night has been special. On a local level people at work that have been to clubs or gigs have really enjoyed being out and access has been hassle free and no trouble inside. I would argue it has more to do with the venue at Dover not being able to adequately deal with the incident

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
How are you attaching vaccine passports to a breach of security??? What correlation other than one persons account do you have for increased drunkeness, abuse and a lack of respect compared to pre-covid levels. Everyone I know (including an artist that has been touring the UK) has been really amazed at how the public have reacted to live performances again and that the atmosphere created each night has been special. On a local level people at work that have been to clubs or gigs have really enjoyed being out and access has been hassle free and no trouble inside. I would argue it has more to do with the venue at Dover not being able to adequately deal with the incident
Simply that the level of drunkeness he is seeing in a variety of settings across a number of major northern cities (as that is where of my lads large venue work is) as well as smaller venues across the country makes him concerned about how things will go now that larger venues will require those attending to present their vaccine passport. Went OK with a small number of venues in Scotland where it is mandatory for all sizes of venue, but nonetheless a concern. Security in the Dover venue did not react as it should have, but there has been an unpleasant undercurrent throughout much of the tour.

You are right though in that he has done quite a number of other bands where the atmosphere has been great…however as mentioned, it seems like clubs and venues across the country are seeing significantly higher levels of drunkenness and out of control behaviour than pre-pandemic. Possibly Post-Pandemic Party-Party?

Last edited:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I don't think that's too surprising, to me Eastenders, from what I've seen on the trailers anyway, is mind numbing garbage, why is it still made ?
I watch Only Connect every week, don't get too many right in the first two rounds but usually get a few in the connecting wall and quite a few in the missing vowels, surprisingly despite not going to Uni I usually get a few right in University Challenge that follows it ?

Same here.
In the first rounds, the connections of some are "way out ,man"?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Simply that the level of drunkeness he is seeing in a variety of settings across a number of major northern cities (as that is where of my lads large venue work is) as well as smaller venues across the country makes him concerned about how things will go now that larger venues will require those attending to present their vaccine passport. Went OK with a small number of venues in Scotland where it is mandatory for all sizes of venue, but nonetheless a concern. Security in the Dover venue did not react as it should have, but there has been an unpleasant undercurrent throughout much of the tour.

You are right though in that he has done quite a number of other bands where the atmosphere has been great…however as mentioned, it seems like clubs and venues across the country are seeing significantly higher levels of drunkenness and out of control behaviour than pre-pandemic. Possibly Post-Pandemic Party-Party?

My friend did a small UK tour including O2 Liverpool and O2 Sheffield as well as smaller venues like the Cheese and Grain in From and the 1865 in Southampton. Very good response from the band who were thrilled to be on stage and the crowd who wanted to see the artist live again after so long. Granted the age of the audience is older but not a hint of drunkeness