They're just socks!..... Or are they?

D

Deleted member 16999

Wow, Just been to the website, what’s going on there…. £26 for a pair of socklets. What’s a freakin socklet! And some as much as £40+

I think I’m safe now with that gear as a pricing benchmark

Anyway what is this ‘win-ter’ you speak of, its shorts and tour spec socklets all year round :cool:
Or get them issued ;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow, Just been to the website, what’s going on there…. £26 for a pair of socklets. What’s a freakin socklet! And some as much as £40+

I think I’m safe now with that gear as a pricing benchmark

Anyway what is this ‘win-ter’ you speak of, its shorts and tour spec socklets all year round :cool:
Imagine spending that much on socks and one of them goes missing in the wash though. (Might just be me that happens to? Have about 12 individual socks at home that lost their partner. Heartbreaking.)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I was given a pair of FootJoy socks for Christmas and they're the most comfortable socks I've ever owned. My golf hasn't improved but I think that's because my socks are not compatible with my Adidas shoes.

That's exactly what prompted me to even consider spending on these things. I just got a pair of Callaway Chev shoes and I somehow knew my current Addidas socks (for my gripmores) wouldn't fit properly (and then there's the stares as you walk onto the 1st tee with a mixed combo... sends a shiver down your back that does)

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
When it comes to clothes I'm very much Man at Primark and in the past it was Sports Direct for a multi-pack of Slazenger socks for a few quid. However, my wife bought me a couple of pairs of Footjoy socks for Christmas. Hugely comfortable and certainly wouldn't go back to the old variety. Even treated myself to a few new pairs rather than wait for Santa to come again.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Cannot believe the guy in the Callaway shirt would not let you try them out for 18 holes before you bought them. Like he would with a £400 driver. You could of covered them with some er socks.

That aside I cannot wear so ks especially this time of year that go more than a couple of inch above my ankles, I get a heat rash and you wanna scratch your legs off after a round.

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
These socks actually ARE magical, at least for the manufacturer.

The trick isn't limited to socks, btw:

1. Take a random product

2. Put "golf" in front of the name

3. Double the price

--> miraculous multiplication of money in your bank account

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just ‘paid’ around £6.50 for a pair of golf socks, how mad is that!

Ok so I was using shop vouchers from a comp win and just spending on stuff I wouldn’t otherwise have chosen (and even AG have these things at a fiver a pair)

So how much can I expect my handicap to drop by now that I’m wearing tour spec socks?

The spec makes me think at least a 0.8 drop is on the cards
The Tour Opti-Dri socks are perfect for playing this season. Callaway Golf have designed these socks to ensure the best fit and comfort which is critical whilst playing golf, with Opti-Dri technology which removes moisture away from the foot to ensure fast drying. Plus Opti-Vent fabrics allow maximum breathability, with an anti-microbial treatment that reduces odour. The socks have an left and righted aysmmetric fit, and have Opti-Stretch to ensure added movement. Finally the socks have 360 arch support, are cushioned, plus have an engineered heel for advanced comfort.

Have you paid daft money on stuff just cos its golf?

What the shoot are Opti-vent and Opti-stretch? Must be good, as it certainly sounds good. Good enogh that l might get my cash out !! (And l might just get some Opti-vent put into the back of my trousers too !)

And to answer the original question of "have you paid daft money ... ?" - Yes. Just put the word "golf" in front of club, trolley, shoe, shirt, trip, and l will have parted with ridiculous sums ...

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I may never have to buy another pair. A few months ago I bought some Pringle black underpants fro Boundary Mills. After a couple of wearings my nether regions became so inflamed I had to go to the doctors for some Cortisone cream. I sent the whole lot back, minus one pair, to keep as evidence, to Boundary Mills. A little while after I got a refund & a request to send the remaining pair to Pringle, which I did. Following this I received an e mail from a lady with an apology & she asked if I'd like some socks in compensation for my discomfort. I said "yes please, black if you don't mind" I promptly forgot about this until, about 10 days later a large box was delivered. It contained 36 pairs of assorted Pringle socks. Fortunately, they don't make my feet itch.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I may never have to buy another pair. A few months ago I bought some Pringle black underpants fro Boundary Mills. After a couple of wearings my nether regions became so inflamed I had to go to the doctors for some Cortisone cream. I sent the whole lot back, minus one pair, to keep as evidence, to Boundary Mills. A little while after I got a refund & a request to send the remaining pair to Pringle, which I did. Following this I received an e mail from a lady with an apology & she asked if I'd like some socks in compensation for my discomfort. I said "yes please, black if you don't mind" I promptly forgot about this until, about 10 days later a large box was delivered. It contained 36 pairs of assorted Pringle socks. Fortunately, they don't make my feet itch.

Pringle use to be a good brand ,but the James Pringle stuff is cheap rubbish..

D

Deleted Member 1156

Dear oh dear. I can't believe you lot have made so many skoolboy errors! Shoes from one manufacturer and socks from another, not getting fitted, I bet you haven't even considered proper colour matching??

Why do you lot waste money on lessons and expensive club fittings without even getting the basics right? 🤔

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Hey, I've played golf in Mauritius - in June (the so-called "dry season").
It rained (nay, chucked it down, but only for a few minutes) every other day, and the course was always wet.
It's the only time I've ever had to clean my club after every shot.
They even banned buggies from the back nine one day because it was so sodden.

Lovely place, though. Very friendly people.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Hey, I've played golf in Mauritius - in June (the so-called "dry season").
It rained (nay, chucked it down, but only for a few minutes) every other day, and the course was always wet.
It's the only time I've ever had to clean my club after every shot.
They even banned buggies from the back nine one day because it was so sodden.

Lovely place, though. Very friendly people.

Glad you liked it. You'll remember its a tropical island not a desert island ;) Although I think the Dry season just means there's less volume of rain than the wet season (a 'little and often' type thing)
Heritage (I'm guessing) lying at the foot of a range of hills with a pretty flat first run of holes on the back 9 at sea level can get a tad damp, so yup I've had that too with the higher front 9 being perfectly fine to drive on (a lot of work going on just now to tweak things for the tour event in Nov)

24° outside the office means its shorts on the course tomorrow :cool:

The people weren't quite so friendly in the rush hour tailbacks last night :(

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always wear 1000 mile socks for golf

about £10 a pair.. real comfortable (twin layer) combined with solid shoes keeps my Plantar fasciitis from flaring up

D

Deleted Member 1156

As a result of this thread I've just been to Asda and bought 2pairs of Athletic Works blister free sports socks for £3.50
I bought 'off the shelf' but as they are part lycra I think they will suit my swing speed very well. Ditching my old golf socks, just a series of 0.1 increases since I bought them :(

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Heritage (I'm guessing) lying at the foot of a range of hills with a pretty flat first run of holes on the back 9 at sea level can get a tad damp, so yup I've had that too with the higher front 9 being perfectly fine to drive on (a lot of work going on just now to tweak things for the tour event in Nov)
We were staying at the Heritage Awahli(sp?), and I think the course was called "Golf du Chateau", so if that's the one you mean then perhaps it's not typical of other courses on Mauritius.

Maybe we should return one day - although the 12 hour flight was a bit of an ordeal.