They're just socks!..... Or are they?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I just ‘paid’ around £6.50 for a pair of golf socks, how mad is that!

Ok so I was using shop vouchers from a comp win and just spending on stuff I wouldn’t otherwise have chosen (and even AG have these things at a fiver a pair)

So how much can I expect my handicap to drop by now that I’m wearing tour spec socks?

The spec makes me think at least a 0.8 drop is on the cards
The Tour Opti-Dri socks are perfect for playing this season. Callaway Golf have designed these socks to ensure the best fit and comfort which is critical whilst playing golf, with Opti-Dri technology which removes moisture away from the foot to ensure fast drying. Plus Opti-Vent fabrics allow maximum breathability, with an anti-microbial treatment that reduces odour. The socks have an left and righted aysmmetric fit, and have Opti-Stretch to ensure added movement. Finally the socks have 360 arch support, are cushioned, plus have an engineered heel for advanced comfort.

Have you paid daft money on stuff just cos its golf?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Ok so I was using shop vouchers from a comp win and just spending on stuff I wouldn’t otherwise have chosen (and even AG have these things at a fiver a pair)

So how much can I expect my handicap to drop by now that I’m wearing tour spec socks?

The Tour Opti-Dri socks are perfect for playing this season. Callaway Golf have designed these socks to ensure the best fit and comfort which is critical whilst playing golf, with Opti-Dri technology which removes moisture away from the foot to ensure fast drying. Plus Opti-Vent fabrics allow maximum breathability, with an anti-microbial treatment that reduces odour. The socks have an left and righted aysmmetric fit, and have Opti-Stretch to ensure added movement. Finally the socks have 360 arch support, are cushioned, plus have an engineered heel for advanced comfort.

nothing, you will still be sheer hite no matter what sock you have on:rofl:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
nothing, you will still be sheer hite no matter what sock you have on:rofl:

That cant be true, did you not read it, they have a left and right aysmmetric fit for petes sake... left and right!

Gotta be worth the odd lip-out dropping at least?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would never spend money on a pair of socks just because they were 'golf socks'. Sock are socks. In fact I haven't bought any pair of socks in many, many years, I just rely on the yearly Christmas present off my nan to top me up.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I would never spend money on a pair of socks just because they were 'golf socks'. Sock are socks. In fact I haven't bought any pair of socks in many, many years, I just rely on the yearly Christmas present off my nan to top me up.

Nooooooo!

360° arch support! Your not getting that with your nans sweat shop knock offs (sorry Orikoru's Nan, you've been had)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Seriously, I think you can only expect that handicap drop if you get them custom fit by a certified professional sock fitter, though.:p

The bloke that sold them to me had a Callaway shirt on so I think I can safely says he's qualified

D

Deleted member 16999

While your post is tongue-in-cheek, I have seen some people hobble off after 18 holes with badly blistered feet and some of them have suffered due to crap socks, nylon and other cheap materials can rub and cause all sorts of issues with your feet, blisters, smells etc, some of these issues can also be badly fitting shoes.

£6.50 for decent sports socks really isn't that bad.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What to do with winnings. Always been a big question for me. There is nothing I want or need (golfing wise) in makes that the proshop sells.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
While your post is tongue-in-cheek, I have seen some people hobble off after 18 holes with badly blistered feet and some of them have suffered due to crap socks, nylon and other cheap materials can rub and cause all sorts of issues with your feet, blisters, smells etc, some of these issues can also be badly fitting shoes.

£6.50 for decent sports socks really isn't that bad.

:whoo: at last, some support, I thought I was going to regret the impulse buy

From hill-walking days in my yoof I remember seemless socks being important (pre my munro phobia of course) So there are definitely good socks and bad socks

I've just never spent that much on a pair before so quite excited to show them to the wife later

D

Deleted member 16999

:whoo: at last, some support, I thought I was going to regret the impulse buy

From hill-walking days in my yoof I remember seemless socks being important (pre my munro phobia of course) So there are definitely good socks and bad socks

I've just never spent that much on a pair before so quite excited to show them to the wife later
Try the price of sealskinz for the winter, man's greatest invention and worth every penny. :)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Try the price of sealskinz for the winter, man's greatest invention and worth every penny. :)

Wow, Just been to the website, what’s going on there…. £26 for a pair of socklets. What’s a freakin socklet! And some as much as £40+

I think I’m safe now with that gear as a pricing benchmark

Anyway what is this ‘win-ter’ you speak of, its shorts and tour spec socklets all year round :cool:

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I was given a pair of FootJoy socks for Christmas and they're the most comfortable socks I've ever owned. My golf hasn't improved but I think that's because my socks are not compatible with my Adidas shoes.