They Shall Not Grow Old.......

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And so on this Remembrance Sunday I reflect and give thanks and my prayers for those of my family and all no longer with us who made the ultimate sacrifice…and to those who continue to take that risk, for us.

FOR I WILL GIVE YOU THE MORNING STAR
In the sunset of an age and an epoch we may write that for epitaph of the men who were of it. They went quiet and brave from the lands they loved, though seldom of that love might they speak, it was not in them to tell in words of the earth that moved and lived and abided, their life and enduring love. And who knows at the last what memories of it were with them, the springs and the winters of this land and all the sounds and scents of it that had once been theirs, deep, and a passion of their blood and spirit, those four who died in France?

(Lewis Grassic Gibbon Sunset Song)

And today my prayers, made in deep sadness and with tears, are also with my sister who we only learned this week had passed away very suddenly just before her 60th birthday last Monday. She was very proud of her father who served in the merchant navy in the North Atlantic and Med in WW2, and of our grandfather who was landed at Gallipoli and served on the Salonica front with the Scottish Horse and later with the Black Watch in France.

Got bless you my dear wee sister forever.:cry:

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
LoveLy words SILH.

Spent the last couple of weeks counting cash from the local ASDA late at night. Transferred thousands into the poppy appeal. I honestly think that over the last few years the public are more and more aware of what there family and friends went through during the many conflicts and wars.
Spent five days last month around Ypres, Tyne Cott, Thiepval, Vimy Ridge, Diksmuide etc. To say it was emotional at times, well let’s just say Tashyboys bottom lip went once or twice.
Today is a parade around the village, into church for a service and then March back to the Welfare for a few sherbets.

#Lestweforget

D

Deleted member 15344

I am an RAF Veteran.........I've mopped and bumpered, polished, bulled, FOD plodded , dusted, litter picked the universe, been messed about, fun starts, fun stops, paraded for the practice parade before the parade, marched up, down and back again, got on the bus, got off the bus, guarded gates and nukes and wide open spaces, guarded crashed aircraft and looked for bits of crashed aircraft , knocked off, had early stacks and worked hours a civvy would have long since packed in. Endured BFT's, beastings , long stands, NAAFI breaks, SRO’s SSO’s, numerous extras, pulled up a sandbag, swung lanterns, frequented the trailer of knowledge, 'Happy Hours' in Squadron bars, witnessed the dance of the flaming a#*eholes, dambusters, hanger footy and cricket with bodge tape balls, surfed ironing boards & drank my body weight on many occasions . I speak fluent abbreviation and acronym, 1250,252 ,S6G, compo, SHQ, SMO dreaded SWO ,gizzits, buckshee, basha, dhobi, bevvy, champagne breakfast, walk of shame ..... and done a little bit of military stuff as well as well.

But most of all, I am so proud of all those that gave everything and made the ultimate sacrifice for us all. They will never be forgotten and I hope they are giving it large in the bar up there!

Respect to those Heroes and also the Heroes who are still on this mortal coil who may have physical or mental issues, I hope you can live long and happy lives, there are people and organisations who really can help!!

I was never a hero , though I’ve walked in the shadows of thousands.

We will remember them

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am an RAF Veteran.........I've mopped and bumpered, polished, bulled, FOD plodded , dusted, litter picked the universe, been messed about, fun starts, fun stops, paraded for the practice parade before the parade, marched up, down and back again, got on the bus, got off the bus, guarded gates and nukes and wide open spaces, guarded crashed aircraft and looked for bits of crashed aircraft , knocked off, had early stacks and worked hours a civvy would have long since packed in. Endured BFT's, beastings , long stands, NAAFI breaks, SRO’s SSO’s, numerous extras, pulled up a sandbag, swung lanterns, frequented the trailer of knowledge, 'Happy Hours' in Squadron bars, witnessed the dance of the flaming a#*eholes, dambusters, hanger footy and cricket with bodge tape balls, surfed ironing boards & drank my body weight on many occasions . I speak fluent abbreviation and acronym, 1250,252 ,S6G, compo, SHQ, SMO dreaded SWO ,gizzits, buckshee, basha, dhobi, bevvy, champagne breakfast, walk of shame ..... and done a little bit of military stuff as well as well.

But most of all, I am so proud of all those that gave everything and made the ultimate sacrifice for us all. They will never be forgotten and I hope they are giving it large in the bar up there!

Respect to those Heroes and also the Heroes who are still on this mortal coil who may have physical or mental issues, I hope you can live long and happy lives, there are people and organisations who really can help!!

We will remember them

Nice piece.

Forgot the bit about the 4* hotels :love::cool:

NearHull

Visit site

We will remember them

You have eloquently captured my 36 yrs - thank you.

D

Deleted member 15344

Was very proud of my dad who today was part of the Remembrance Parade in London - hopefully next year I can join him

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I do love a nicely balanced reaction to what is a very distasteful, but ultimately petty, act of vandalusm..

Distasteful? Petty? Vandalism.? Such harsh judgement ?.
Jesus, however did we let mindsets like yours have as much influence as they do.?

Always play down behaviour that shouldn’t be tolerated in a civilised society, but because of your attitudes, and others like you, we now have a Country where behaviour ,which was unthinkable in my young years, is excused or thought to be no problem.
You cannot see the total disrespect displayed by those scrotes for what the Fallen did for this Country, and that includes for you and yours.
You have shown that you too cannot see the respect that should be there, and therefore you are part of the problem too.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do love a nicely balanced reaction to what is a very distasteful, but ultimately petty, act of vandalism..

Petty act of vandalism, if you think that, give your head a wobble although I suspect you posted this just for a reaction. People have a right to disagree, those very people being remembered gave their service and lives for that very right but doing this to ANY memorial shows how far some members of society have sunk.