Them and us

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I dare say they're selling plenty

WHO?
Crossfield and Finch shift loads of gear no doubt,

I was looking at the availability for lessons earlier this year for Peter Finch and Rich Shiels and they simply were not booking anyone.. i figure most people assume they cost a fortune now they are famous! 70 QUID btw

Last edited:

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
WHO?
Crossfield and Finch shift loads of gear no doubt, but looking at their availability for lessons earlier this year they simply were not booking anyone.. i figure most people assume they cost a fortune now they are famous! 70 QUID btw

Sorry I was referring to finch and shiels

I know what your saying about them both selling many lessons.....but they're both doing something right atm

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They are regular club pro's who spotted a gap in the market and utilised it. They are now far more than regular club pro's. Well done them for going for something and improving their business.

Watched the video of Carly Booth Vs Rick V Pete in a skins comp.. Pete won.. now he beat a touring pro there in Carly.. he cant be just average seems to know his stuff.. more reserved than rick I find. Seems a decent guy

id go for a lesson with either of them or the Me and my golf guys.. Andy seems better than Piers though.. seems an all round golfer

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Watched the video of Carly Booth Vs Rick V Pete in a skins comp.. Pete won.. now he beat a touring pro there in Carly.. he cant be just average seems to know his stuff.. more reserved than rick I find. Seems a decent guy

id go for a lesson with either of them or the Me and my golf guys.. Andy seems better than Piers though.. seems an all round golfer

Would take a lesson with Crossfield over all those guys, pay more for it too.

If I had Dan Whitaker (guy coaching Rick as well as many others) close by would get him as long term coach.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Would take a lesson with Crossfield over all those guys, pay more for it too.

If I had Dan Whitaker (guy coaching Rick as well as many others) close by would get him as long term coach.

I'm not familiar with any of these guys that have been mentioned here,have any of them got experiance coaching European tour players?

D

Deleted member 18588

I'm not familiar with any of these guys that have been mentioned here,have any of them got experiance coaching European tour players?

No, they haven't got time.

Too busy being (minor) golf celebrities.

To paraphrase an old adage:- "those that really can just get on and do it, those that can't teach and those that can't teach become vloggers."

D

Deleted member 15344

No, they haven't got time.

Too busy being (minor) golf celebrities.

To paraphrase an old adage:- "those that really can just get on and do it, those that can't teach and those that can't teach become vloggers."

All these guys who "vlog" are fully qualified PGA Pros who have taught golfers but have decided to jump on the social media bandwagon and use various methods to "review or give tips" - it's proved very successful for many of them

Can't get any funny than mid HC hackers saying they can't teach - have you had any lessons from any of them ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
All these guys who "vlog" are fully qualified PGA Pros who have taught golfers but have decided to jump on the social media bandwagon and use various methods to "review or give tips" - it's proved very successful for many of them

Can't get any funny than mid HC hackers saying they can't teach - have you had any lessons from any of them ?

I would absolutely love to have a lesson with Peter Finch, his methods look simple but effective.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Find the criticism of Finch and Shiels a little unfair having spoken to them. They actually have some big plans to make their teaching set up at Prairie Sports one of the biggest and best in that part of the country. That takes cash and so anything they can generate via their online efforts. Both are competent golfers, and in fact of the two I would say Finch has a better chance in first open qualifying and was in a reasonable place with his game to try last year before being injured. Even if they don't get past the regionals, at least they've tried and given their online supporters some interesting stuff to watch.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Find the criticism of Finch and Shiels a little unfair having spoken to them. They actually have some big plans to make their teaching set up at Prairie Sports one of the biggest and best in that part of the country. That takes cash and so anything they can generate via their online efforts. Both are competent golfers, and in fact of the two I would say Finch has a better chance in first open qualifying and was in a reasonable place with his game to try last year before being injured. Even if they don't get past the regionals, at least they've tried and given their online supporters some interesting stuff to watch.

So what have these two won then?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No idea. Shiels had a second in a local PGA event really and I'm sure if you go back far enough or dig deep enough you can find the answer. The point was, it's easy to ridicule those making the effort to get themselves out there and use youtube to further their business and share their exploits. As I said, they have plans for Prairie Sports which costs and their content to a large degree is providing a means to an end

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Teaching pro's and teaching amateurs is an entirely different skill. Pro's have control and understand their swing to an advanced level. You are probably refining a pro's swing. Giving a lesson to an amateur could cover any aspect of golf and who knows what may need doing.

Anyone belittling someone who coaches amateurs has clearly never coached anyone. Good players are easier to coach than bad ones.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Why do you ask that?

Because theres too many PGA teachers out there with their modern gimmicks, a good golfer/teacher just teaches you how to hit a golf ball as simple as that and to be honest a lot of PGA club pro's/coaches are crap golfers which is evident when you look at their scoring in local events.I know where I would go should I want a lesson,somebody who knows how to play raw golf and not a wannabee with his toys.

D

Deleted member 15344

Because theres too many PGA teachers out there with their modern gimmicks, a good golfer/teacher just teaches you how to hit a golf ball as simple as that and to be honest a lot of PGA club pro's/coaches are crap golfers which is evident when you look at their scoring in local events.I know where I would go should I want a lesson,somebody who knows how to play raw golf and not a wannabee with his toys.

Butch Harmon uses a lot of "gimmcks" - I expect you wouldn't ,I don't getting a lesson from him - many of the top coaches use "gimmicks"

I have played in pro Ams with coaches of ET players and LET players and their scores aren't great in Pro Am's

Indeed in a couple of pro Ams I have beaten a number of the Pros including both Charlie Hulls and Ian Poulters coach

They aren't "crap golfers" - they just aren't tour standard golfers and that's why they are coaching - if a golfer is good enough to play on the tour do you think he is going to coach instead ?

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You sound like the old women at work....scared of anything new or any sort of change.

This is the future....they're both quality at what they do.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Lots of teachers use more than their eyes. Would you class launch monitors as a gimmick? I had a lesson from Gary Smith in the summer, a top coach with a notable reputation and his bag was crammed full of gadgets. He clearly thinks they help. I assume you'd turn the opportunity down to have a lesson with him or any other top coach if you see their bag full of gadgets.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

But I'm a 12 handicapper and don't need Rory Mcilroy to teach me. I had lessons from one or two crap coaches but, by and large, most lessons I've had have been from good, dedicated teachers who really care that I improve. Most top coaches have not been top players just as most top class football managers haven't played at the highest level

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

If they are so crap, why don't you turn pro and show them how it's done?