Theatre

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I go to the Lowry in Salford occassionally, most recently saw The Ocean at the end of the Lane, which was fabulous
We went to see that in Woking…fabulous indeed, and the special effects were mesmerising…though tbh my wife struggled with keeping up with the plot…I’d read the book so was able to straighten things out for her at the interval.

We have nothing further booked so will have to have a browse across what’s on and coming.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I saw The Lion King recently at the Palace Theatre in Manchester, the show was excellent, really enjoyed it, the costumes to make the animals are something else, it is a little different as the characters are animals.
Unfortunately the seats in the theatre are so small and the lack of legroom even with an aisle seat makes it so uncomfortable it may be a while before I visit again.
Not a lot of legroom is a feature of Victorian and Edwardian era theatres…I guess folks were smaller when the theatres were designed and built. Up in the Gods of The Duke of York’s yesterday evening was quite a squeeze. We were sat in the middle of a row and at one point I had a bit of cramp in my right hip…if it had moved to the calf of that leg (as it does) I would have been in trouble 🫣 It didn’t and so I wasn’t.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
My wife and I took our Daughter to see Matilda on Tuesday night for her 8th birthday, it was brilliant and she loved it, aside from how loud it was at points, I looked around and a number of adults and children had their fingers in their ears!

It did drown out the rustle of sweet bags, how are people not clever enough to only go into the bag when they're singing, not during dialogue?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My wife and I took our Daughter to see Matilda on Tuesday night for her 8th birthday, it was brilliant and she loved it, aside from how loud it was at points, I looked around and a number of adults and children had their fingers in their ears!

It did drown out the rustle of sweet bags, how are people not clever enough to only go into the bag when they're singing, not during dialogue?
Why do people need sweets and snacks at the theatre/cinema anyway? Can't they go a couple of hours (max) without stuffing their fat faces?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Went to see The Bodyguard in Milton Keynes last night, great show, and Melody Thornton was brilliant.

My carer’s daughter is on the tour as part of the wardrobe team.

But £14.80 for a glass of Pino and a coke is taking the rise

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Why do people need sweets and snacks at the theatre/cinema anyway? Can't they go a couple of hours (max) without stuffing their fat faces?
They don’t. And tbh for plays at the theatre I don’t see or hear much ‘rustle and munch’…the audience seems to understand the need for silence, both for all to hear and to maintain the atmosphere the actors create. Musicals are a bit different, especially those with a significant proportion of children in the audience, as there is rustle and munch time during the songs, but even then…not really necessary.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
They don’t. And tbh for plays at the theatre I don’t see or hear much ‘rustle and munch’…the audience seems to understand the need for silence, both for all to hear and to maintain the atmosphere the actors create. Musicals are a bit different, especially those with a significant proportion of children in the audience, as there is rustle and munch time during the songs, but even then…not really necessary.

Many years ago, we went to see Joseph in Manchester and was really taken aback, the atmosphere was so different to anything else we had attended, the majority of the audience were children who mostly joined in singing the songs.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This evening we are going to the West End to see The Enfield Haunting at The Ambassadors Theatre. Mrs is bit of a Catherine Tate fan, co-starring with David Threlfall. Reviews are not great, but an afternoon up London with pre-theatre dinner and a play is always a good day.