The Worst Commentary Team in Golf???

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Listening to Tony Jacklin ramble on about some crap got me thinking who are the worst commentators?

I couldn’t think of a worse commentating team than Jacklin and Sam Torrance, They are just so boring and Jacklin sounds about 110 when talking on air. Sam Torrance’s monosyllabic voice ruined the new Tiger Woods game.

Is it obvious I need a distraction from the Golf???

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You're right of course.
Everything with Mr Moustache is "Beautiful this and beautiful that. "Gorgeous this and gorgeous that" "Ernest this and Ernest that". He is without doubt the worst.
Don't mind Jacklin so much in the studio before the action, but that's where he should stay.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont know about the worst ones but Peter allice (just had a mental block on spelling his name there) is the king for me, knows his golf, the history of the game, interesting to listen to and one of the funniest people Ive ever listened to in sport.

Lineker and the rest are just modest announcers and no more.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not having Sky I listened to most of the Cup on 5Live and I have to say that although they sometimes ramble off on a tangent (like Jonners and Blowers on Test match Special) they kept me informed well enough and I could get on with other things like writing this stuff!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't like Oosterhuis, He comes on Sky coverage and gives thes opinions on European players that he rarely sees on a regular basis. He often calls a shot in the air and is miles out and then back tracks like a trick unicyclist going downhill.

Torrance I feel is too chummy and wants to be the next Ken Brown and cosy up with Alliss. One guy I do have a lot of time for and is often underated but does a fair bit of coverage on Sky is Steve Beddow who covers quite a few of the lesser European tour events. Very informative without being too opinionated.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oosterhuis lives and works in the US, he's usually commentating on PGA events where he inevitably appears to have a far better understanding than his american colleagues - not difficult. It's the same with Faldo - he easily makes his 'colleagues' look like idiots.

Ken Brown I like, jacklin sounds like he has Alzheimers, Torrance - I keep waiting for the K1.

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
Jacklin is an awful commentator. He tries to be a Peter Alliss but fails and ends up sounding like a doddery old uncle ragaling you with tales of how things were so much better in the old days before seat belts, pasteurized milk, antibiotics etc.

On course, Richard Boxall is hard to beat.,

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I also have to hand it to the 5-live team (some of whom I can't even name!). On Saturday they continued via phone when there was a technical hitch, and they were adept at switching between games during crucial moments.
I think on radio you can digress a bit just to add some 'colour' and when it came to the big moments they were spot on. I find the concentration required to listen to sport without the visuals in some ways adds to the suspense.
Still wished I had Sky, though!

AliB

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
Agree with Viscount17: Irrespective of his golfing pedigree, Jacklin has been cooking with too many aluminium saucepans and spoiled an otherwise good stab by Sky on the RC. I don't even think he's good for the preamble. Perhaps he should have a column with a month to get 1000 words in the right order? Seriously, though, is he alright?