The Ten Finger Grip?

A

Alex1975

Hi all,

I started playing about with this a few nights ago and it feels really good. I thought it would feel very odd but I seem to be able to turn my wrist more easily. I have done some research online and just about every article says the same thing. Good for juniors, woman and people with small hands but also most advise not to change to it if you already have one of the other grips, do you guys agree with that?

I have read that this can over time promote hooks, are there any other problems with it.

Does anyone have any advice about it or any additional information.

I have smallish hands(mens small glove) and have always interlocked up until now but this is torturing my hands to the point of having to tape them up.

Potential step forward or backward, worth trying?

Thanks all

Al

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have smallish hands(mens small glove) and have always interlocked up until now but this is torturing my hands to the point of having to tape them up.

Al,

I had the same problem for the last 10 or so years and also have fairly small hands. Always having to tape the tops of my index and 3rd fingers on my right hand as if I didn't the skin would rip and they would bleed.

Bob got me to weaken my grip on my right hand slightly and since then (two range sessions around 200 balls), no need for tape and no sign of wear and tear.

Might be something as simple as that?

Not a fan of the baseball grip myself and even with my child like hands, have never struggled with the interlocking grip.

A

Alex1975

Al,

I had the same problem for the last 10 or so years and also have fairly small hands. Always having to tape the tops of my index and 3rd fingers on my right hand as if I didn't the skin would rip and they would bleed.

Bob got me to weaken my grip on my right hand slightly and since then (two range sessions around 200 balls), no need for tape and no sign of wear and tear.

Might be something as simple as that?

Not a fan of the baseball grip myself and even with my child like hands, have never struggled with the interlocking grip.

Part of the reason I think I may like the idea(for today at least) is that is moves my right hand further down the club and I muse that is may have me covering more grip as someone with large hands may do and it also seems to make a clearer path for my wrists to turn over.

My worry with a weaker right hand (I assume you mean weaker in the golf grip scenes rather than less pressure?) is that I fight a slice and my understanding is that a weak grip will not help this.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
My worry with a weaker right hand (I assume you mean weaker in the golf grip scenes rather than less pressure?) is that I fight a slice and my understanding is that a weak grip will not help this.

I thought the same thing (and yes, I meant weaker in grip rather than pressure but it just so happens I'm not clinging on to the club for dear life now lol), but it has the opposite effect (or so Bob tells me) - something to do with your hands aligning at impact better or something. Can't remember!

I also fight a slice as anyone on here I've played with will tell you, but weakening the grip slightly (so it's actually more neutral, making sure the "V" points to your right shoulder) helps to eliminate it (well, it has me, at least)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I have smallish hands(mens small glove) and have always interlocked up until now but this is torturing my hands to the point of having to tape them up

Al

Have you had your grip checked by a Pro, as it may be your existing grip is not correct and causing the problems.

A

Alex1975

I have smallish hands(mens small glove) and have always interlocked up until now but this is torturing my hands to the point of having to tape them up

Al

Have you had your grip checked by a Pro, as it may be your existing grip is not correct and causing the problems.

seen a few pros over the years and all have said my grip is good. My latest pro has moved my thumb on my right hand over to the left out of the way in the last month but it made little difference to me after a week or less.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

The other way dummy :eek: :D ;)

I moved your right hand clockwise to help control your ball flight. That is strengthening it :)

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

I moved your right hand clockwise to help control your ball flight. That is strengthening it :)

I don't know the specifics and which is weaker and stronger, but it's working (I think). Er...Al, do the opposite of what I told you. Clockwise...CLOCKWISE!! :)

Can you recommend a grip change to prevent knobbing one off the 1st on Monday? :(

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

I think you should ban Jon from mentioning any advice you give him Bob, he is ruining your reputation. :D

A

Alex1975

Do you have any input on the 10 finger grip Bob?

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apparently using a baseball grip drops your right shoulder,and cause's an imbalance in the swing.
I'm pretty sure Ronan Rafferty (but can't be bothered to check)used a baseball grip,and he competed at the highest level,so it works for some.

A

Alex1975

Apparently using a baseball grip drops your right shoulder,and cause's an imbalance in the swing.
I'm pretty sure Ronan Rafferty (but can't be bothered to check)used a baseball grip,and he competed at the highest level,so it works for some.

Yep there are a few success storys out there but less rather than more.

I had spoted the dropped right shoulder as there is an extra finger on the grip on the right hand but again wondered if that may just be the same as someone with normal or large hand... whatever normal hands are :D

Anyhow thanks for the comment. Its something I will try, everything must get evaluated unless its a really bad idea.

A

Alex1975

Alex did you get my PM about the drill in the mag?

I did, I thought I had replied.. just checked and it seems I did not. Ill PM you my email, thanks buddy.

T

thecraw

I use baseball, its comfortable and natural for me and I won't be changing it anytime soon.

A

Alex1975

I use baseball, its comfortable and natural for me and I won't be changing it anytime soon.

Nice one, I have stuck with it and have found it sometimes as bad, sometimes better but never worse so far. The trial goes on.

Craw have you ever had a pro or someone you trust with matters golf make negative comments about it?

Also what is your bad shot?

T

thecraw

Nice one, I have stuck with it and have found it sometimes as bad, sometimes better but never worse so far. The trial goes on.

Craw have you ever had a pro or someone you trust with matters golf make negative comments about it?

Also what is your bad shot?

Sorry Alex,

I just noticed the above. Most professionals are more open minded now about grips etc. The way I look at it is, who says the interlock or the piggy back grips are correct?

I've played baseball for a number of years, all through my junior days and I did then change to Vardon and the interlock but it just did not feel comfortable to me. I changed back and I prefer it. Its natural and comfortable to me. My bad shot is usually a hook is I get to quick and "handsy" however that can happen with any type of grip.

The Pro I now go to also says he wouldn't touch my grip or ask me to change it.