I am learning about the takeaway and need some help

Hands in club head out (of the line)

Does anyone know what the line means?

Thanks

Good golfing

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I understand “the line” in regards to keeping the club outside of it in the takeaway to be the line through the hands to the target.

Having said that, the club starts way outside that line so you wouldn’t want to move it any further away. I like to have my club head just outside the line from my hands to the target when the club is parallel to the ground.

I have only ever heard hands in clubhead out in regards to the downswing.

Leslie Nielson

Visit site
Hello

I am not a member at any golf club and have learning difficulty. I do not know what the golf terms inside and outside mean and want to know. Below are a few examples of how I think the terms get used

Inside the target line: The side of the line closest to your body

Outside the target line: The side of the line furthest from your body

The inside of the ball: The side of the ball facing you

The outside of the ball: The side of the ball furthest from you

1573464721785.jpeg
Club head is outside of hands

alignment Stick Path Drill 2.JPG
Club head is inside of target linemaxresdefault.jpg
Club head is inside hands

Have I got the right idea?

Best wishes

phillarrow

Visit site
To be honest, I think you'll struggle if you're trying to learn to play golf by hitting certain spots. Unless you very regularly video yourself from both the front and side, it's really hard to know you actually are hitting those spots. In golf, feel is often not real and trying to be so technical so early on sounds like a recipe for disaster to me!

My advice would be to focus on how the takeaway feels and what happens to the ball.
Make your normal swing and observe the ball flight. Then make a swing where you exaggerate the feeling of bringing the club away from the ball on a straighter initial path backwards, before letting your natural swing take over. Observe ball flight. Then do the exact opposite and observe ball flight. One of these three swings will give you closest to the ball flight you're after. Take it and tweak it until you're hitting the ball on the flight you want. But do it on how the movement feels rather than where your club is.

Of course, the real answer is "get a lesson". But if there is a reason you can't or don't want to, then work on how things feel and which feeling gives the best result. It's far easier and more reliable than trying to hit specific spots in your swing.

All just my opinion of course.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be honest, I think you'll struggle if you're trying to learn to play golf by hitting certain spots. Unless you very regularly video yourself from both the front and side, it's really hard to know you actually are hitting those spots. In golf, feel is often not real and trying to be so technical so early on sounds like a recipe for disaster to me!

My advice would be to focus on how the takeaway feels and what happens to the ball.
Make your normal swing and observe the ball flight. Then make a swing where you exaggerate the feeling of bringing the club away from the ball on a straighter initial path backwards, before letting your natural swing take over. Observe ball flight. Then do the exact opposite and observe ball flight. One of these three swings will give you closest to the ball flight you're after. Take it and tweak it until you're hitting the ball on the flight you want. But do it on how the movement feels rather than where your club is.

Of course, the real answer is "get a lesson". But if there is a reason you can't or don't want to, then work on how things feel and which feeling gives the best result. It's far easier and more reliable than trying to hit specific spots in your swing.

All just my opinion of course.
I agree with all this.
Getting to technical will scramble your thinking.
Just go hit the ball for now learn how to strike it consistently and don’t overthink it.
A really good teaching pro will teach you all you need to know about lines and angles that would be my advice.
Learning difficulties is not a barrier these days just explain your situation to the pro and maybe video your lesson for reference later at home.
Good luck.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Doesn’t matter what the takeaway is like as long as the clubhead is returned to the ball in the way you want to hit it to make it do what you want. ? Well if that thinking was good enough for Bobby Jones it’s good enough for me.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Doesn’t matter what the takeaway is like as long as the clubhead is returned to the ball in the way you want to hit it to make it do what you want. ? Well if that thinking was good enough for Bobby Jones it’s good enough for me.
Taking the clubhead away inside will encourage an out to in swingpath as you will tend to route it to the outside on the way down.