The Stupid Mistakes Thread

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Love a stupid mistake during a round me

Saturdays stupid mistake was trying to chip it under low hanging trees onto the correct fairway when I could have just blasted it down the adjacent hole and pitched on

Made a 7 and shot 81 :cry:

Any stupid mistakes from fellow forumers at the weekend costing them a chance of breaking a number or beating their lowest score?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Two errors cost me three shots which would have meant 79 gross instead of 82. One - a 70 yard pitch, struck out of the heel which missed the green right and cascaded down a bank which made for an extremely difficult chip back up. Two - missed an 18 inch putt by trying to putt through the break, but the break was too much for it and left myself a two footer back (luckily holed that one).

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Left a 20 foot curling downhiller with the wind behind just short which meant I couldn't break 100.
Never up never in.

AAC

Visit site
Opting to go off the 1st tee yesterday morning (we normally start on the 10th as its quieter), we know we shouldn't but we did !! The front 9 moved on ok and I turned with 21 points in the stableford comp. A quick cuppa at the halfway house and off for the back nine, a bird......ie and a par saw me on 28 points for 11 holes...... THEN we hit the wall, three notoriously slow groups put and end to a possible v.good round, we waited and we waited and then we waited some more, my concentration went and I scored 8 points in the last 7 holes. Have told my PP's to kick me where it hurts if I ever suggest going off the 1st again on a Sunday morning !!!!!!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ah you wilted under the pressure of a potentially great score. It's not the group's ahead fault really is it.
That's probably why he posted it in the Stupid Mistakes thread. Unless you thought he was claiming the other groups made a stupid mistake by being slow in front of him.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Pulling the 5w out the bag for my first shot with it on my 12th hole.
I should know by know not to use such a long club for its first hit being so far into a round. It rarely produces a good shot

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It would take more than the fingers on the two hands to count the number of times I have hit a 6 instead of 9 or vice versa.

sunshine

Visit site
Asking a qualified rules official for clarification on the dropping procedure from a red penalty area. Got a very long explanation which aligned with what I had done, then he said that it was irrelevent because the hazard in question was a yellow penalty area. Signed for my card with an NR on that hole. Then when i returned to the hole (it was a 36 hole comp) I observed that it was indeed a red penalty area as I had thought.

The lake bordering the hole is a yellow PA, then red, then yellow again. The rules are just so complicated!

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Love a stupid mistake during a round me

Saturdays stupid mistake was trying to chip it under low hanging trees onto the correct fairway when I could have just blasted it down the adjacent hole and pitched on

Made a 7 and shot 81 :cry:

Any stupid mistakes from fellow forumers at the weekend costing them a chance of breaking a number or beating their lowest score?

Played a social round on Friday, but to proper rules. I’ve broken 100 now a few times recently following concerted effort in lessons and practice having been a nomad golfer for a few years. Pulled tee shot on 8 into the rubbish. Thought I’d find it but didn’t and couldn’t be bothered to go back to tee. Finished with a 93 + 1 hole, on the harder of our courses that I’ve not broken 100 on.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I know where you are going with this, I seem to be capable of making a different stupid mistake on every hole, it's known as "how to ruin a scorecard in 18 simple steps".

On Saturday I had 90 yds left to the pin on 7, I didn't want to hit SW because of the tailwind, so I hit LW, it ends up 30 yards from the flag and I 3 putted........just chip a 7 or 8 in stupid.

On 15 I have the opposite issue, the wind is into my face, I'm between GW and PW but PW will probably come up a tad short, so I hit 9, down the shaft, 3/4 swing, and it comes up short of the green........just chip 7 or 8 in stupid.

I reckon that stupid decisions put at least two shots on my index.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I know where you are going with this, I seem to be capable of making a different stupid mistake on every hole, it's known as "how to ruin a scorecard in 18 simple steps".

On Saturday I had 90 yds left to the pin on 7, I didn't want to hit SW because of the tailwind, so I hit LW, it ends up 30 yards from the flag and I 3 putted........just chip a 7 or 8 in stupid.

On 15 I have the opposite issue, the wind is into my face, I'm between GW and PW but PW will probably come up a tad short, so I hit 9, down the shaft, 3/4 swing, and it comes up short of the green........just chip 7 or 8 in stupid.

I reckon that stupid decisions put at least two shots on my index.

I do the same thing.

Yardage is between clubs, everything within me knows I should just hit the longer club and accept being a bit long of my target - but I often choose the 3/4 swing option and find myself in stupid positions.

As ive got better in ability, I feel like my club/ shot selection has got worse!

peld

Visit site
long par 4, good drive hit my second heavy. leaving a long bump and run to a big elevated green with back flag.
Pick up my 9 iron, but thinking this might be a bit low lofted that'll hit the bank at the front of the front of the green.
Thought, nah, it'll be fine.
Result = hits the front of the green, barely gets halfway to the pin. fortunately still scraped a half with a great second putt.

EDIT - I should add, I was playing a singles matchplay tie and fortunately won 1up, winning the 18th.

Perhaps the silliest mistake was my opponent though. I was giving him 6 shots. On the 6th, our SI 6, i had made par, then he had a 10ft par putt, which he misses and goes past, just out of gimme range. He sighs and walks straight to his ball, and does a nonchalant one handed putt back to the hole, which misses. I ask him, "i thought you had a shot there?" he says no. He goes back to his scorecard, and the elastic band on the card holder was covering the 6th hole and the circle he'd drawn to show his shots!
Before you say anything I would have corrected him to remind him, but it all happened really quickly.

Last edited:

Albo

Visit site
3 this weekend.
In a bunker short sided on par 3 2nd, get out but little sand and it flew over the green, down wind chip back..... straight back in the bunker. End up with a 6!

4th hole, par 5, left with 100 in which is a 50° for me, pretty stock as it goes 105ish but was into wind, shank into the cabbage, end up with an 8.

Hole 7 par 4, some how topped my driver into some horrible stuff, a couple of swipes and a drop later i card an 8.

10 shots dropped in 3 holes. Im 12 over through 8, and finish up 15 over to miss breaking 80 by 4 (par 68).

I played really well other than those 3!

On the plus side i broke 80 today, on a different course off the whites. So it all balances out

Tonto

Visit site
Hit an 8 iron approach shot, ball flew 20 yards over the flag into the oob behind. When putting the club back into the bag I noticed a bit of grass stuck to the number which made the 6 look like an 8.