The release

golf_bug

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a lesson the other day and was really pleased with the advice I was given (previously my lessons have not really been that productive). However, a question arose about the correct way to release the club.

During the lesson I noticed that my left hand (I am right handed) collapsed back on itself slightly after impact causing an ever so slight scooping motion causing hooks and overdraws. The pro gave me a drill where I was to stand with feet together and do small swings, feeling the arms rotating. Lo and behold, with this type of release I was hitting the ball nearly as far as my proper swing with a draw!

On my return home I looked on Youtube for further info on the release. However, I was horrified to see some video's actually endorsing a release where the left wrist collapses back on itself - some even went as far as saying this is the most powerful way to release the club.

Can anyone offer advice on the correct way to release the flippin club?!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I had a lesson the other day and was really pleased with the advice I was given (previously my lessons have not really been that productive). However, a question arose about the correct way to release the club.

During the lesson I noticed that my left hand (I am right handed) collapsed back on itself slightly after impact causing an ever so slight scooping motion causing hooks and overdraws. The pro gave me a drill where I was to stand with feet together and do small swings, feeling the arms rotating. Lo and behold, with this type of release I was hitting the ball nearly as far as my proper swing with a draw!

On my return home I looked on Youtube for further info on the release. However, I was horrified to see some video's actually endorsing a release where the left wrist collapses back on itself - some even went as far as saying this is the most powerful way to release the club.

Can anyone offer advice on the correct way to release the flippin club?!

If the pro told you something and you say it's working why did you then go on Youtube?

What shape is it that you are trying to hit? Push-draw, draw, straight?

golf_bug

Head Pro
Visit site
If the pro told you something and you say it's working why did you then go on Youtube?

What shape is it that you are trying to hit? Push-draw, draw, straight?

The pro didn't tell me specifically how to release the club. The drill he got me to do with my feet together was about timing more than anything, but he was saying "feel the forearms rotating" - i could, and it seemed to work. It wasn't until after my lesson that it clicked I was doing it differently, so looked on youtube to see if there was any clarification out there.

I am trying to hit draws

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I did get taught this way,its more a anti left no hands release

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58A1-abPcEM

I watched this....interesting. (I liked it)

I also saw this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_17DCSI7Rg&feature=related

I could do with trying some of this myself. :)

Both look like total codswallop to me... both are trying to describe a feeling whilst neither actually happen in the swing. Firstly you could never snap your elbow round like that in a swing, it almost re-routes the club and would take it off plane (like rolling your wrists) and you definately could never do it consistently enough, then (in the next clip) Hogan shows one position with his right forearm then does something completely different.

The only thing that is right is that you should drive your lower body through, hips lead the downswing not the shoulders.

I think you should be looking at impact drills (get an impact bag and learn to hit the bag with the SHAFT first) and don't worry about the release. If your wrist is folding then you are probably not in the correct impact position and the clubhead is overtaking your hands.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'd also add....

Poor wrist action can be helped by understanding the impact position and by proper use of the body through the swing. If your body stops driving or turning then the wrists will start to catch up, just don't give them that opportunity.

Hope that helps.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I did get taught this way,its more a anti left no hands release

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58A1-abPcEM

I watched this....interesting. (I liked it)

I also saw this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_17DCSI7Rg&feature=related

I could do with trying some of this myself. :)

Both look like total codswallop to me... both are trying to describe a feeling whilst neither actually happen in the swing. Firstly you could never snap your elbow round like that in a swing, it almost re-routes the club and would take it off plane (like rolling your wrists) and you definately could never do it consistently enough, then (in the next clip) Hogan shows one position with his right forearm then does something completely different.

The only thing that is right is that you should drive your lower body through, hips lead the downswing not the shoulders.

I think you should be looking at impact drills (get an impact bag and learn to hit the bag with the SHAFT first) and don't worry about the release. If your wrist is folding then you are probably not in the correct impact position and the clubhead is overtaking your hands.

Funny you say that, coz, independant of seeing the second vid, I've been trying to get that feeling of starting the downswing with the hips ( ie turning the left hip out of the way ) and then letting the club swing through in it's own time.

Dunno if it means I'm hitting from the top or improving my lag, or something in between. But I THINK it's helping keep my hands forward at impact.

But, what with my problem of hitting the irons fat, I'm wondering if it's making me keep my weight back on my right side too much.

I mean, what the feck did Hogan know anyway. :p

golf_bug

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd also add....

Poor wrist action can be helped by understanding the impact position and by proper use of the body through the swing. If your body stops driving or turning then the wrists will start to catch up, just don't give them that opportunity.

Hope that helps.

I guess that for the hands to be ahead at impact, the left wrist needs to be at least flat, if not bowed the other way? In which case the left wrist shouldn't be breaking down before impact?

Its interesting as I feel like I have been making much better contact with the ball recently, which I though was due to me keeping my hands ahead of the club head - but seeing it on video I am still a 'cupper'.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I guess that for the hands to be ahead at impact, the left wrist needs to be at least flat, if not bowed the other way? In which case the left wrist shouldn't be breaking down before impact?
Correct.