The Open - Practise Days

Stegsie

Head Pro
Visit site
Morning all,

To my shame I have never been to a live golf event, but want to change that this year. As the Open is in my neck of the woods in 2014 it seems a shame not to take a trip over. My question is really about the practise days. I noticed the tickets are cheap as chips for the week before the open, and with one of the practise days being my birthday I was thinking about going over then (as well as maybe the Sat/Sun of the actual open)

Anyone recommend them or are they a bit of a wasted effort?

Also, anyone been to The Open at Hoylake before, I imagine parking is a nightmare so going to pop over on the train. Any other comments about live golf events also appreciated before I pop my cherry.

Cheers!

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Practice days are worth it. I went on the Tuesday last year at Muirfield. Was a great day, the players are more relaxed and you get a chance to see everyone. I sent a bit of time around the practice areas as it was good to see how the players work on their games and what sort of drills they do. Altho that may not be for everyone i found it really interesting.

Also there were less people about so you get to see more of the bigger names when they are out. Tiger was out when i got there, managed to catch up with him and got to see fairly easily, but on any of the tournament days there were loads more following him and it was impossible to get a good view.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't go on the weekend - too many people and you get a better sense of the competition unfolding on TV.
Friday is often a good day - still the full field so plenty of action to watch.
Never been to a practice day but many on here recommend it so I might give it a try next time out.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Another recommendation for Practice Day for a more relaxed approach by the players or Day 1/2 for competition.

As posted previously, TV gives a much better 'story' of the event imo. But to get a proper appreciation of how good these guys really are, nothing beats being there - as long as you can see!

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I always go on the Tuesday. All the players seem to still be at ease and have a bit of banter with the crowd. Plus you hear about a few of them (eg big Phil) have the Wednesday off, or only go to the putting green/range.

Either way, you'll love it.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Morning all,

To my shame I have never been to a live golf event, but want to change that this year. As the Open is in my neck of the woods in 2014 it seems a shame not to take a trip over. My question is really about the practise days. I noticed the tickets are cheap as chips for the week before the open, and with one of the practise days being my birthday I was thinking about going over then (as well as maybe the Sat/Sun of the actual open)

Anyone recommend them or are they a bit of a wasted effort?

Also, anyone been to The Open at Hoylake before, I imagine parking is a nightmare so going to pop over on the train. Any other comments about live golf events also appreciated before I pop my cherry.

Cheers!
I went to The Open at Hoylake in 2006.I parked away from the course as there was shuttle buses taking spectators to the course, the system worked very well as people werent hanging around waiting too long for the next shuttle.I wasn't though overly impressed with the course, it didnt seem too much of a test for the players as the faiways were wide with plenty of bail out areas, I hope they toughen the course up this time round.Cant remember the number of the hole but theres a par 3 right next to the estuary where you can sit on a grassy bank, its a tough hole but was impressive to see how the guys played it.Go for it its a great day out.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
one thing I might add which was a great disappointment to me, is the lack of golf equipment on show now. It used to be the tented village was awash with the latest gear, manufacturers and gadgets, as of last year at Muirfield you could buy overpriced clothes, OPEN branded 'stuff' and look at a couple of hotels. Surprising for the biggest and oldest tournament in the world.

Visit site
Like you Stegsie I had never attended a pro tournament so when Open came to the NW at Lytham 2012 I took the plunge and attended Wednesday's Practice Day. BRILLIANT ! Can't recommend it high enough. To the point where I wouldn't even contemplate attending the tournament itself. As Garush says above, you get to see the pro's working on their game, and out on the course you have almost 'open access' for a chat with players, autographs, photos et cetera, and all at a fraction of the price of the tournament proper. Also, when you subsequently watch the tournament on the TV it has more perspective as you pick out the spots where you were standing, and helps you understand the lay out of the course and the shapes of the shots the guys are hitting.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Like you Stegsie I had never attended a pro tournament so when Open came to the NW at Lytham 2012 I took the plunge and attended Wednesday's Practice Day. BRILLIANT ! Can't recommend it high enough. To the point where I wouldn't even contemplate attending the tournament itself. As Garush says above, you get to see the pro's working on their game, and out on the course you have almost 'open access' for a chat with players, autographs, photos et cetera, and all at a fraction of the price of the tournament proper. Also, when you subsequently watch the tournament on the TV it has more perspective as you pick out the spots where you were standing, and helps you understand the lay out of the course and the shapes of the shots the guys are hitting.

plus you get to hear 'that sound' that only pro's hitting the ball make, you get a feel for their rhythm, timing and distances they hit it, but overall the impact sound and flight of the ball they all have is a different world to mere mortals

Stegsie

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers All.

Big difference in the practise day costs too! Will get my tickets booked this week for the practise and stay at home for the main event (is it BBC or Sky this year, btw?)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Practice days are better value in my eyes. Pros usually more approachable and relaxed, less crowds so you can see more. Go early, enjoy the day and then watch the event proper on telly with a beer

Stegsie

Head Pro
Visit site
Resurrecting this thread as I've just bought my tickets for the open. Going on the Tuesday, and tickets only £25 at the moment. Excited now!

Anyone else going over?

D

Deleted member 17920

Resurrecting this thread as I've just bought my tickets for the open. Going on the Tuesday, and tickets only £25 at the moment. Excited now!

Anyone else going over?
Got tickets for Saturday, Looking forward to it :thup:.

gdrblue

www.twitter.com
Loved going to the practise day at the Scottish open at Loch Lomond, followed Els round 1 year got to stand on the tee with him, he's huge ha. At the end of the round he gave me his ball was well chuffed.