The new pretender to the throne

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
far too early to be considering McIlroy, first year on tour it's all new and exciting. see how he performs week in, week out after a couple of seasons.

Schwartzel don't see him as a star, more of a Furyk - always around and dependable.

In the next few years look for Asia to produce some front runners

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think any young golfer with exceptional tallent can give the impression of future greatness, but it takes more than that in my view. So many golfers have appeared brilliant, then after a number of years fallen away.
How right you are, Herb! I've seen umpteen. However, I'm an optimist and think Rory could do it. Justin Rose, too. Don't know about Casey and Poulter, though. I'm not knocking these guys but it's professional sport and you have to be VERY good to get to the real top.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
This is going to sound weird but I think the day Tiger hangs up his Driver will be a good day for Golf - Competitionwise!!

Not good for Golf as a lot of the money will go with him, but good in the way that there will be 5 or 6 real contenders at every Major. Most here have said that they can't see X or Y catching Tiger - nor can I. But when Tiger's gone, Kim, Rory, and the rest will provide each other with serious competition as I can't see anyone that will stand out above the rest.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the issue is not just golfing tallent and consistency, but charactor and winning ability. Only a very few golfers have the ability to WIN the big ones often more than once and its not just down to their ability. Many out there have good enough skill but not enough charactor or grit to go with it. Only a very very small number of golfers have big tournament win stats comparable to tiger and most of them are retired, or a little too old and rusted to be a threat.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I absolutely love mcilroys balance whilst we are talking about him.

In terms of his potential though I think he is at huge risk of being a flop due to the huge pressure being put on him. The weight of expectation will tell at some point and so I think we should just wait and see what pans out for him. And I wish him all the best as he is a really nice guy (talked to me for 5 minutes or so at the Belfry- on Sunday morning!) and is incredibly grounded- and crucially talented.

Kim is made of the right stuff but will never reach Tigers dominance.

Villegas- I just can't see it somehow. He may win a lucky major but he is not to be compared to Tiger in my book. No doubting his quality though- I just don't think his mind is right.

Oh and great post by the way- it made brilliant reading going through everyones replies / opinions.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't think there will be a 'next' Tiger, just some one to take over as the one to beat, once his period of dominance has passed. (Maybe sooner than not, if his knee doesn't fix properly).

Martin Kaymer looks to have most of the attributes, except a personality (actually, that might help). Being German, at least he will have the bottle if it ever comes to penalty shoot outs on the 18th on a Sunday.