The mystery of irons

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
All my golfing life I have noticed the same problem hitting irons. The short ones PW , 9,8 I can strike reasonably well, I.e. Ball then turf. The longer irons I sweep more and do not get the increase in distance expected from the decrease in loft.
Seems my angle of attack isn't correct. But what do I know.?
My mate hits his irons taking more and proper divot.
Yesterday on the range I put white chalk on the mat, which showed when I hit ball first and when I didn't. I hit the 9 iron really properly and it surprised me how far it went.
The 7 and 5 went only a little further, but the chalk told me they were more of a sweep action .

Answer is, yes, see Pro. But will do when Covid retreats.

Until then, I,m open to try things. First, what if I stand closer to ball with the longer clubs?
Or, hold the clubs such that they are all the length of the nine iron?
Or what?
I am late seventies, so flexibility is almost gone?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Thanks for the reply.
Normally straight, or can do the other two when I really concentrate and on song.
I do hit better when I make sure I do a full backswing and come slower off the top. Unbelievable how easy it is to stray from those two things.
It's the length of the longer irons. Tried hitting them at the shorter length at the range today. That's not the answer!
I reckon it's Anno Domini?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Can you finish with your weight on your front and up on your back toe?
If so try the drill below.
If you're not confident, use a small rolled up towel or headcover.
The idea is to keep moving the back ball/towel nearer the front ball without hitting it.
Start off about 12in-15in apart
This will develop the feel of hitting down on the ball.
When you watch the video below, you will clearly hear my club thump into the mat. (divot)
Hope this helps

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The longer the club the flatter the swing will be so you are bound to get more of a sweeping action with the longer clubs. Most of the divot is caused by the vertical downward movement of the club at impact in reaction to the upward movement of the ball. This is more pronounced in the shorter irons. You'd be surprised how much "sweep" there is in the shorter clubs.

As far as the longer irons are concerned, they are simply harder to hit for the over 70s like you & me. They require more club head speed than we can produce. Also, being longer, they require a more accurate strike. The only reason my 4 iron goes farther than the 5 iron is the extra roll I get from the lower flight. They both carry about the same distance. This is the reason why shorter hitters like us resort to hybrid clubs.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Thanks very much. Will try the two ball method. Yes, the old clubhead speed.
I'm not hitting badly a lot of the time, but I think I have to accept that the clubheadspeed has gone forever?
I'll concentrate on tempo and full swing. Seems when they are right I get the best I can get.
It's doing that for 18 holes, isn't it?