The mental aspect - taking good range work to the course

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
so just back after a great range session working on my tee shots. Driver is going like a bomb, 4 wood, hybrids and irons also bang on.

I know tomorrow when I tee up on the 1st I am gonna be back to 'dont slice it' 'dont fat it' dont top it' etc etc.

How do you take the good work on the range to the course? Is it just a case of trust your swing and ignore whats in front of you?

Must be a few little pointers some can give or have been taught at some point

thanks in advance all you golfing maestro's ;)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
congratulations on asking the biggest, most important, question for most handicap golfers.

haven't a clue about the answer!

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know tomorrow when I tee up on the 1st I am gonna be back to 'dont slice it' 'dont fat it' dont top it' etc etc.

Must be a few little pointers some can give or have been taught at some point

thanks in advance all you golfing maestro's ;)

Thats your 1st mistake above G1BBO.....
Never dwell over the bad shots.....Instead of dont slice it say.....Ill nail this one straight at the target.....
When your picking a target be specific to the point of picking something very small in the distance and stick to that.....Line up your clubface with that over a point on the ground a few feet in front of the ball.....
And tell yourself no matter what the outcome ill accept whats thrown at me...
Take it one shot at a time....Play with the swing and the shape you have on that particular day...

Above all try and stay within your tempo....I find that when my game is off i usually trace it back to rhythm and tempo...If it means taking an extra club and swinging smooth then so be it....Longer is better than shorter in most cases....
Hit to the middles of greens and Dont go after pins....Ignore them...If your putting is on your score well....

Dont try any miracle shots.....Play withing your strenghts and accept that youll miss fairways and greens.....

You'll do ok....If its going against you just keep the head down and plug away.....Try not to force yourself to play well....I usually find that it puts a bit too much pressure on me....

Above all just relax and enjoy it......There will always be someone that'll play worse than you...

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
God knows Gibbo, i have asked the handicap sec at my club if they can issue me a 'range handicap'... I reckon Im off about 4!!!:rofl:

For what its worth, worse ways the more you hit the shots on the range they do eventually transfer to the course. you may recall my horror shot is a high slice, my last 3 rounds ive only hot 1 per round. 3-4 months ago it would be 7-8.

Hopefully you will get there quicker than me.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
haha, I was trying to hit drives for each hole tonight and striping them, hit one to the back fence and thought wow. Its easy with no o/b or 2nd shot to play :)

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tempo does help, i count in my head to keep good rhytyhm.

But sometimes this can lead to a little longer over the ball while you settle, almost to the point where oddsocks nearly fell asleep last week!:rofl:

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's exactly the same as on the course if you don't look at the trouble or think about what happens if you hit a bad one :)