The dreaded shanks

davieboy1872

Visit site
First off, hello from a forum noob.

I have been playing golf for nearly 2 years (will be in April)

Recently I seem to be shanking irons but 1 day it will be there, the next it's gone.

Went to the range a few times to diagnose the reason and I think I know why I have been doing it. I tried a few things tonight and have basically came to the conclusion that I am cocking my wrist too early. Tried it a few times and shanked it. Delayed the wrist hinge and hitting the ball sweetly again.

The problem I have is ive tried to look for shank reasons online, specifically early wrist hinge, but the advice seems to be that early wrist action can only be good.

I am now confused. Any opinions are appreciated.

B

birdieman

Welcome,

Best advice, see a pro as there are 13 or so reasons for shanks.

As a former sufferer a couple of things to watch are -
1. good balance at address( u should be able to raise toes and heels if your balance is good)
2. on the downswing make sure you turn your hips left and not slide them toward target

You are correct with early wrist cock your clubface may be turning open, if you are then trying to square the clubface late on you could introduce the hosel to the ball.

davieboy1872

Visit site
Tried all the reasons I think, balance is good, distance away from ball is consistent etc

It's definitely early wrist hinge. As I said earlier, a lot of advice is to have early hinge but it doesn't work for me.

I suppose what I'm asking is that is early wrist hinge a "common" reason for shanking? Doesn't seem to be

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its true there are a number of reasons people get the 'Shermans'. The problem is mainly due to lagging the hozel into the ball with the clubface wide open.

An early wrist hinge should not be a problem but you may br bringing the club too far inside in the takeaway and fanning the clubface open by rolling your forearms and wrists. I would guess that when you dont make an early hinge you are not fanning the face open and inside.

An early wrist hinge is OK as long as it is an up and down type hinge and not one created by turning the forearms and wrists over. Make sure the clubface is square to the swingpath halfway back and halfway down and you should hopefully see an improvement.

I hope this helps you.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a full wrist cook when my arms are half way back. But a proper hing, no rolling. Never have the shermans. (Now I've said that guess what will happen)