The dreaded S word

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep the dreaded horrible Shermans have come into my game like nothing else. I changed my grip two weeks ago from Baseball to Overlapping after my first lesson and havn't rid myself of them since. They are destroying my rounds and sanity. I think the cause is an extremley open clubface which starts almost at the start of the backswing and I never get it back by the point of impact. I dont roll my forearms as with my old grip I never needed to as I always hit the ball straight. The question is do I learn to roll my forearms on the downswing or try and take the clbface back square?. Ive got a lesson booked with my pro next week as hes fully booked this week but would like to try some drills before that. Thanks in advance.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You are right that the problem is normally leading into the ball with an open clubface. Sometimes it's swinging outside though.

You need to understand what the flaw is first then there will be a way of overcoming it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
'fanning' the club face open on the takeaway is definitely to be avoided.

I suspect this is now a case of over thinking it and, consequentially, then doing what you are thinking about (as usual)

With all this focus on forearms you have probably stopped turning the shoulders, and without a shoulder turn you will probably start to sway....which also causes....

Don't drill anything until you have had your professional advice; then work hard on the positives he will give you

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Take a 7 iron and swing back until your club shaft is horizontal.
Then look at the club head.
Is it
open, straight up or hooded?

Edit. Sorry....shaft, not left arm

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My main cause is rarely the swing but rocking my weight forward onto the toes as I go back and through which means everything has gone forward a few centimeters. I acutally bring the club head down ok but the hosel is now in the way of the ball and not the clubface.

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Its weird, just went down the range and if I stand with my legs together with my knees slightly bent I hit the ball perfect every time. As soon as I open my stance the problem creeps back in. Just tried closing the clubface slightly on the takeaway and the clubface is in the correct position but then ended up hooking the ball a few times with some decent strikes thrown in. Maybe I should just play with my feet together?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its weird, just went down the range and if I stand with my legs together with my knees slightly bent I hit the ball perfect every time. As soon as I open my stance the problem creeps back in. Just tried closing the clubface slightly on the takeaway and the clubface is in the correct position but then ended up hooking the ball a few times with some decent strikes thrown in. Maybe I should just play with my feet together?

not wierd - sugests that you are swaying (you can't with feet together and it promotes a shoulder turn)

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep thats the one. I have in previous weeks had the face completley open at this point which may be causing the problem?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That position Luke is in shows a square clubface to the swingpath. Straight up and down will be open.

Also check that you are not pushing forward with your right hip in the downswing, this will push the clubface towards the ball. Try making sure your backside keeps contact on the same line as at address.

Look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNwSfz0_KDM

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cheers for the advice guys. Went down the range again today and found two possible causes. First was I was setting my wrists straight away instead of taking the club back which i think may be called 'fanning'?. Second was a lack of shoulder rotation which is why I was fine when standing with my feet together. Hit everything really well after I addressed these two issues but no doubt they will be back again in the future.