The downside to using Fairway mats in winter

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No mats, either portable or on the tee boxes. Always find it strange, but understand it entirely, when I read about Scottish players using mats in the winter. Does it really make a difference to the striking as per the OP and does it take time to adjust once the warmer weather comes?

D

Deleted member 16999

No mats, either portable or on the tee boxes. Always find it strange, but understand it entirely, when I read about Scottish players using mats in the winter. Does it really make a difference to the striking as per the OP and does it take time to adjust once the warmer weather comes?

Yes and yes, takes a little time to adjust on and off.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

did you not read any of the replies?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes. Just wondered how much difference it makes and whether it's something that affects the majority or not. Are there many courses where mats aren't mandatory? Is it unique to Scotland?

this will be the first year we have had to use the mat for all shots except in the deep rough, tee or green. Used to drop in the first cut, but bits off that were getting shredded, esp it it was a mild winter and lots played. a few clubs up here use mats off the fairway from a certain point which are usually marked by stakes, or drop to the side.

I remember when we had a forum meet at Leven a couple of years ago, they had mats in use for all shots even the rough.

from my point, i have only hit shots from a perfect lie on a slight up slope for the last 3 months, so there is a period of adjustment it would seem.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Makes very little difference in my experience, generate a bit more backspin from taking the ball cleaner than normal but it doesn't lead to chunking or thinning.

It's for the greater benefit of the course so don't mind having a perfect lie for every approach.

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We arent carrying mats with us but some of the winter teebox have them down.
Quite a lot of people I play with always moan about hitting off them and they find it more difficult......
I think they are great

Perfect lie - :thup:
Forgiveness - :thup:
Cleaner strikes - :thup:
Not damaging course - :thup:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Downside? Is there an upside to using them?

only that they mask a less than clean strike, a bit like a range mat at times. I found when playing off a grass fairway for the first time in 3 months was a bit of a struggle, as some of the replies would suggest its not uncommon.

it got me thinking i was hitting my irons very well when in fact i wasn't:(

But in the scheme of things, its not the end of the world, its protects the course and that's the important thing