The Challenge Japanese Skins

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Looks like nothing more than a glorified jolly and payday. Much along the lines of the Phil vs Tiger dullfest the other year. Won't be watching but video quite good

I get that, but I used to like watching the skins games shown on Shell's World of Golf, or whatever it was called. Skins should be a bit more interesting than the Tiger/ Phil bore fest, I'd be interested to watch a bit, but not likely for this.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I get that, but I used to like watching the skins games shown on Shell's World of Golf, or whatever it was called. Skins should be a bit more interesting than the Tiger/ Phil bore fest, I'd be interested to watch a bit, but not likely for this.
I get what you're saying and the skins format does make it interesting and I seem to remember some being shown on Shell's World of Golf as well. To be honest though the players involved really don't excite me (Day and Matsuyama especially) and so can't get excited enough to consider shelling out for it

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I saw a couple of the videos they made on this and was pretty disappointed.

They are not good, compared to some of the stuff the European Tour have come out with.

Making a big mistake in trying to get the golfers to act, rather than just be themselves. Now I think they are doing a decent job, but ultimately they are not actors and you are so used to seeing polished professionals acting and presenting on TV, that it looks pretty amateur.

They should just do something a lot more natural and film it and try and cut together some chat or jokes between the players. I'm sure Rory would be good at this and Tiger probably decent.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
As for the event - got no problem with them trying different formats during the 'off-season'.

I actually found the Phil v Tiger match quite interesting once it got going. And I think similar events to that could work and improve televised golf - with a few tweaks here and there.
Definitely a place for more match play between the top players.

4 players rather than 2 is much better. More chat, more shots.
I'd also have them in a buggy with the player who hits 1st already halfway down there so the pace is picked up and the whole thing can move forward much quicker.
Of course the money was obscene and there's no need for it. Appreciate they still need a decent prize, but anything around what you'd get for a normal tour event is more than enough.
Also last year, with the amount of money on offer - by the time it got down to it on the back 9, they had stopped making side bets as they were obviously both thinking 'I could win $9 Million here'

However, as it is, seems like these are going to be one offs and with Golf TV basically being pointless to subscribe to for a UK viewer, then I won't be watching.

D

Deleted member 18588

Fortunately I have some decorating being done.

So there's bound to be paint I can watch dry instead.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Making a big mistake in trying to get the golfers to act, rather than just be themselves. Now I think they are doing a decent job, but ultimately they are not actors and you are so used to seeing polished professionals acting and presenting on TV, that it looks pretty amateur.

That's what I thought made it amusing, pretty sure none of them are taking it seriously.