The Annual Review

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a H/Cap Team member I'm interested to know who is involved in your AR as members of the 'Handicap Committee' & what reports you find useful besides the main AR one.
This is mainly directed to Club System V1 users as I'm unsure what reports can be generated with Intelligent Golf & other providers, though I guess they won't be dissimilar.

D

Deleted member 15344

The reports are the same regardless of which system is used

We have just done ours - on IG people have put in personal scorecards also people that have given me away scorecards that can be used and I also use away comps scores I know that have been had

At the meeting it was the four Comp Committee members plus next years captain

This year most seem to have accepted it bar one who has thrown his toys out of the cot getting cut one shot but it always happens

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

We have just done ours - on IG people have put in personal scorecards also people that have given me away scorecards that can be used and I also use away comps scores I know that have been had

This year most seem to have accepted it bar one who has thrown his toys out of the cot getting cut one shot but it always happens

pretty similar to us. The handicap committee consists of the Handicap Sec, Competition Secretary and the Vice Captain (which gives a constant mix of experience and understanding with questioning!).

The handicap sec presents the system reports together with any accumulated 'evidence' and his recommendations first, then he highlights any other issues he's found; then asks the others for anything else they feel needs attention.

Works as well as the work that's put in in my experience. And yes, there's nearly always one who complains - increasingly those being increased (as we have always been proactive in that area over the years - pretty much as the reports now highlight anyway).

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys...... just wondering if you would use 'Continuous Review Reports' at the AR as during the year all those highlighted for Club H/caps have declined them but in some instances they do not appear in the 'Annual Review Report' going to Cat-5.
As we have some 6 or more going to Cat-5 we expect some complaints, as Duncan has had.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys...... just wondering if you would use 'Continuous Review Reports' at the AR as during the year all those highlighted for Club H/caps have declined them but in some instances they do not appear in the 'Annual Review Report' going to Cat-5.
As we have some 6 or more going to Cat-5 we expect some complaints, as Duncan has had.

I would expect that instances of "Continuous Review Reports" which have appeared throughout the year will be part and parcel of the AR data and recommendations.

We do our AR on 1st January and the Handicap Committee consider the report at their first meeting on 9th January. I have done a dummy run using the Beta version of the 2018 Handicapmaster software and was surprised that there was only 1 player recommended to move from 28 to Cat 5.

Last edited:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'd love to be cut a shot!!! Weird how some are wired.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would expect that instances of "Continuous Review Reports" which have appeared throughout the year will be part and parcel of the AR data and recommendations.

We do our AR on 1st January and the Handicap Committee consider the report at their first meeting on 9th January. I have done a dummy run using the Beta version of the 2018 Handicapmaster software and was surprised that there was only 1 player recommended to move from 28 to Cat 5.
Yes "Continuous Review Reports" suggests 6 or so on 28 to get shots but AR recommends only 2 of them...... having played with some of them I'd be saying some of them need 3 or 4 shots to get them competitive.
There's even one guy played 13 Q's with none within 4 of H/cap but not mentioned in AR. Came up in CR but declined Club/Hcap. He's, not surprisingly, top of the Inapt list.
Twas why I was asking about the Reports folks look at.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The recommendation from England Golf is that the review should be delayed until all the software has been updated to allow for the increased handicap limits.

We have already agreed a formula for 0ur 28/36 handicappers largely based upon the current formula for an initial handicap. we have quite a number of player that appear regularly on the Cont. Review that are at the maximum.

A very quick look at the number of players that we shall review at current maximum is around 40.

We are in the process of changing our software so will not do ours until the new software is up and running.

We have a dedicated Handicap committee currently 3 members, Club Manager and Office Secretary who handles all the comps and handicaps amendments. I am allowed one more member but have yet to fill the vacancy.

Last edited:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The recommendation from England Golf is that the review should be delayed until all the software has been updated to allow for the increased handicap limits.

We have already agreed a formula for 0ur 28/36 handicappers largely based upon the current formula for an initial handicap. we have quite a number of player that appear regularly on the Cont. Review that are at the maximum.

A very quick look at the number of players that we shall review at current maximum is around 40.

We are in the process of changing our software so will not do ours until the new software is up and running.

What software do you use Jim?
How will you decide which of their cards to use for the 'initial H/cap' style assessment?..... or am I missing something obvious here?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What software do you use Jim?
How will you decide which of their cards to use for the 'initial H/cap' style assessment?..... or am I missing something obvious here?

We are just about to switch to Intelligent Golf. We shall use the players best score from the preceding 12 months. We obviously will not give all players at current maximum an increase. Our main point is to take players out of the CSS calculation when they clearly cannot play to the current maximum.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'd love to be cut a shot!!! Weird how some are wired.

It’s mental mate - every year I know someone will react badly - two years ago someone accused me of bias and demanded the shot be given back and sent loads of emails to the president and the county - who fully agreed with me and told him it was lucky he didn’t get cut two shots

Last year someone just went mad at me to my face even though he won a number of comps and this year he is livid because he didn’t get a shot back because he had 7 .1 in a row ( I can guarantee he has done it on purpose to get a shot back )

It’s just one shot - you would think that I had cut them to scratch

And I always thought the whole idea was to get as low as possible

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is no pleasing everybody. At the beginning of the year I was given an extra shot after a review (by others on the committee reviewing my scores) and one guy at our club went absolutely ballistic insisting the club Captain reviewed the decision, he was telling everybody that reviews should not happen. He was acting as if the committee had increased my handicap by about 5 shots.

Turned out that he had requested a review the year before and had his request for an increase declined.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last year someone just went mad at me to my face even though he won a number of comps and this year he is livid because he didn’t get a shot back because he had 7 .1 in a row ( I can guarantee he has done it on purpose to get a shot back )

It is nice to that Congu have clarified whether or not a full review is due just because of 7 x 0.1s in row.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are just about to switch to Intelligent Golf. We shall use the players best score from the preceding 12 months. We obviously will not give all players at current maximum an increase. Our main point is to take players out of the CSS calculation when they clearly cannot play to the current maximum.

Everyone I know who's switched to IG from ClubSystems is really pleased with it.. L-Phil is one & Fish
Agree with this idea of a formula it's a good one ... will work well for us as well, I think... cheers.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It’s mental mate - every year I know someone will react badly - two years ago someone accused me of bias and demanded the shot be given back and sent loads of emails to the president and the county - who fully agreed with me and told him it was lucky he didn’t get cut two shots

It’s just one shot - you would think that I had cut them to scratch

And I always thought the whole idea was to get as low as possible

Do you have 100% proof he done it to get a shot back ?

I would like to know how he done it and how you caught him out.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Haha.... guarantees are only as good as those giving them... so I'm with Phil :ears: :clap: :ears:

It's a bold statement to make without having proof and we know how Phil likes asking for proof so I am sure he has some to back it up.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a bold statement to make without having proof and we know how Phil likes asking for proof so I am sure he has some to back it up.
Oih!! This threads about AR things. So tell us what you know or get off my thread or there’s trouble, guaranteed!!!
😜

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Everyone I know who's switched to IG from ClubSystems is really pleased with it.. L-Phil is one & Fish
Agree with this idea of a formula it's a good one ... will work well for us as well, I think... cheers.

We switched as well and have been very pleased with the decision!