The 4 Iron

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Having just got my new irons the set is 4 to sw, how many high handicapers actually carry the 4 iron. I tend to use a fairway wood as I find them easier to hit.
Is that just me or should I be keeping it in the bag? :D

DCB

Visit site
Play with what works for you. Don't carry it if you're not comfortable with it. Given time, you might want to try it on a practice round and at the range. Play with what you know and what suits you :D

here's hoping these are the ones ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have always treated my 4 iron like my other clubs and get on fine with mine. However when I tried the I15's and the MP range I couldn't hit their 4 irons for love nor money. I know I wasn't trying too hard or swinging too fast as I was hitting every other club great. I guess it comes down to confidence and what you think you need to get the best score possible

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Would love to know how many of the top 100 pro's have a 2 iron in the bag. I would have thought it is a low percentage. Alternatively how many have a hybrid instead of one. A higher percentage ? Wonder if the reason could be that a 2 iron is harder to hit even for a pro,and is less versatile than a hybrid, especially out of rough.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't have a problem with the 4 iron at all, yet the 3 iron off the deck can either be powerful penetrating and straight or a horrible high slice :(

Amazing the difference a half inch or so of shaft and 3 degrees of loft can make :D

But as others have said, go with what you are comfortable with, mine is being packed off to Germany in the very near future and will be replaced with a hybrid of some sort.

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
Hit what you're comfortable with. Personally, I love my long irons (3 and 4) and currently looking for a 2 iron to add to the bag.

Aztecs, saw this today browsing on e-bay. Could be just the job.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MIZUNO-TP-19-2iron...=item3cb4c08fb7

Dual purpose club - you can hit low raking shots into the wind or you can use it to butter your toast. :D

I've got one of those in my loft with a Rifle 6.0 shaft in it. Used to use it a lot.................. as an alignment aid on the practice ground... :)

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hit what you're comfortable with. Personally, I love my long irons (3 and 4) and currently looking for a 2 iron to add to the bag.

Aztecs, saw this today browsing on e-bay. Could be just the job.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MIZUNO-TP-19-2iron...=item3cb4c08fb7

Dual purpose club - you can hit low raking shots into the wind or you can use it to butter your toast. :D

I've got one of those in my loft with a Rifle 6.0 shaft in it. Used to use it a lot.................. as an alignment aid on the practice ground... :)

Interested in selling it?

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
4-iron is great, though I use it mostly off the tee. I have one hole, par 4 dogleg, where I regularly take the 4-i off the whites. Also use it for 180-ish par 3's.

I'd like to use the 3-i more but, like Phil, I find it too inconsistent. On its day, it's great for raking shots from under the, all too frequently visited, trees.

(note that it's the club that's inconsistent, not me!)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I carry 3-4 irons and would not be without them. I depends what distances you hit really, my 4 iron can be hit 190-200 yards but its not unheard of for me to be using it from 150 into the wind. I use the 3 or 4 off the tee a bit as we have a couple of doglegs that that you don't want to carry 220 again depends on the wind. My bag is more stacked with longer clubs as that's the biggest variable on the courses I'm a member at, it all depends on the wind.

If I was playing at Parkland courses I prob would not use 2 or 3 iron. When I first started playing at a parkland course down south I didn't need 3 or 4 iron and had a ping G5 22 hybrid and a five wood. Different playing conditions to what I have now. Be no good trying to hit a 2 iron out of thick grass, but a 4 or 5 hybrid would be fine.

Sandy_Whittet

Banned
www.equipio.com
If you find it too inconsistent you might be better off putting a lofted fairway wood or rescue in the bag - they are better and easier off the tee on long par 3s and short par 4s, from the rough, and you can use it round the green too.

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Great replys people, I do carry a 5 wood and a recovery both of which I hit realy consistantly so will stick with them.
But will take the 4 iron on to the range and maybe on the odd non comp round and give it a go and maybe grow to love it.