Tennis elbow, hints, tips and fixes for getting over this injury

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A couple of years ago I got an excruciating pain on the outside of my left elbow. I went to see my doctor and she pulled and prodded my arm, asked if this hurts (answer Yes), and then pronounced that I had got tennis elbow. "But I don't play tennis" I replied. She explained that golfers can also get this in their lead arm (I play right handed). She gave me some physiotherapy exercises designed to stretch the tendon that runs over the outside of the elbow and advised me to wear a tennis elbow brace for a few weeks. Problem cleared up in about 3 weeks and I was able to continue playing golf. :)

Was it this that gave you the putting yips?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pain is on the outside of the elbow, I am in a physical job so no chance of resting it but I am hoping that with supports and exercises I can get it sorted sooner rather than later. I have been told that it takes as long as it takes, but I dont want to give up without a fight. Hope you get better soon BW.

Cheers mate. My problem was on the inside of the elbow and does appear to have been linked to an "over-armsy" swing as stated by The Coach. My second mistake was not listening to expert advice and taking a rest. The rest of the story is a predictably stupid tale of early comebacks and worsening injury. The tendons are now so bad that the only option I have left is surgery!!!

There are no "easy fixes" for this type of injury. Patience will be your friend.... I hope you heal quickly and permanently :thup:

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Classic tennis elbow is on the outside of the elbow, right on the edge, and almost feels like its the bone that's got the pain. If it's very bad, I would go and see a physio. I suffered from it a long time ago when i was an active tennis player. The physio gave me ultrasound and manipulation, and set me some homework, a combination of ice application, stretches of the forearm muscles, and strengthening exercises. Best of luck and it will get better. You can also get a protective band that wraps around the top of the forearm, this is good but i cant remember how it works.

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Classic tennis elbow is on the outside of the elbow, right on the edge, and almost feels like its the bone that's got the pain. If it's very bad, I would go and see a physio. I suffered from it a long time ago when i was an active tennis player. The physio gave me ultrasound and manipulation, and set me some homework, a combination of ice application, stretches of the forearm muscles, and strengthening exercises. Best of luck and it will get better. You can also get a protective band that wraps around the top of the forearm, this is good but i cant remember how it works.
I Find the band very good, the triangle piece in the band goes on the tendon, it separates it from the muscle or nerve can't remember now, anyway when it does, the pain eases dramatically, for me anyway.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
A tennis elbow support is an adjustable strapping that you fit just below the elbow. It is supposed to compress and hold the tendons in your arm together. I can confirm from my own experience that they do work. They are generally available from good chemists for a few pounds. :)

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well first day at work with a tennis elbow support and the pain has been much better, now to put ice on it and give it a rest. Thanks very much for the advice, I need to find some exercises to do, I hope everyone suffering gets better soon

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Well first day at work with a tennis elbow support and the pain has been much better, now to put ice on it and give it a rest. Thanks very much for the advice, I need to find some exercises to do, I hope everyone suffering gets better soon
If you have tennis elbow you have small tears in your tendon. Exercise will make it worse. You need to rest it. Exercises should be done before you get the problem to strengthen the arm.

In my opinion a lot of the 'tips' on here are not suitable for tendonitis, but for general arm strains or aches.

Try and pick up a pint from the bar from the top of the glass with your palm down. If you drop the glass you have tennis elbow.:eek:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The pain associated with tennis elbow is caused by tears in the tendon where it attaches to the bone. I think my tennis elbow was caused by repeatly hacking out of the deep rough that our course insists on having to 'add definition and to provide a habitat for butterflies'! Perhaps if I threaten them with 'Ealth 'n Safety they might cut it down occasionally! :angry:

Last edited:

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Tennis elbow in tennis is caused by a poor backhand technique where the wrist is asked to do all the work and snaps at a the ball, overworking the forearm muscles, and the buck has to stop at the tendon that joins the elbow. I was given exercises to do by a physio who worked on the LTA tour. These are mild strengthening exercises. Imagine if you are sat on an armchair with the forearm resting on the arm of the chair but the wrist overhanging, take a tin of baked beans and do 10 reps of curls with wrist pointing up, then another 10 reps with wrist pointing down. Do this a few times a day, easy when watching TV.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I've never suffered from this until this season where I've been making a conscious effort to cut the ball (with a good degree of success) but resulting in a painful outside of the left elbow after playing for a few days (I'm right handed). At the moment I'm not playing a lot anyway but have been taking diclofenac (I have these for my back anyway) and resting it for a couple of days and I'm OK. Does anyone know if this is likely to subside as it get's used to my swing change or if it's cause more fundamental and it's probably a bad idea to keep swinging the way I am?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hey Mark, how did you get on with this?
I started getting pain in the outside of my right elbow a few months ago after a longish driving range session. It knacks like buggery now after every time I play or do any type of lifting etc. Put it this way, at it's worst it even hurts when I shake hands with someone :confused:
I also have quite a physical job so properly resting it is a no no.

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Bad news I am afraid, it is still a problem, I haven't played for three months, and I am waiting for the doctor to sort out physio. I use a support at work, which has helped a lot but as I do a lot of lifting and holding of weight in awkward positions its going to be a slow process. i am hoping to play a few holes before Christmas, also going to show my physiology my swing and discuss it with my Pro. I hope yours takes less time to heal