Tee times at Dalmahoy

Albo

Visit site
Sorry for the random questions, is anyone a member at Dalmahoy? If so what is the tee time availability like these days?

Im looking to possibly take up membership.

Thanks

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have no axe to grind, and I know folk who are members at both Dalmahoy and Ratho. As you will be aware Dalmahoy is a Country Club whereas Ratho is a Golf Club. Personally speaking, if I was only looking to play golf, then I would choose Ratho over Dalmahoy every day.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've played there a lot in the past, my ex-boss was a member. He never had a problem getting times and there was a winter members league that seemed pretty sociable.
Nice to have 2 courses that are quite different.

Albo

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. 2 courses is very appealing and something nowhere else near by does. Also the leisure facilities too. Though I think there is now a waiting list which is kinda a downer

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Both are James Braid designed courses. The East is the longer of the two and can be a bit of a slog in my opinion especially off the back tees. The West Course is more suitable to my standard of play!

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Can speak for courses in your area but being a member of a resort club with two courses in north east England. You’ll find if you are fixed to say a Saturday each week, competitions and societies will dictate which course you play But if you accept that, it’s nice having two course in a membership.

I’ve played Dalmahoy and found the second course to be a dumping waste ground inside the trees. Instant lost ball. you alway find the 2nd course at these places to be a bit of an after thought as far as maintenance is concerned but it was by far the worse condition off the fairways I’d experienced. Main course is lovely.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The shorter course may be tighter (I never really found that) but that is the way it should be on a short course. It is only about 5000 yards so course management should come to the fore.

TigerBear

Visit site
Group of us going to play Muirfield and North Berwick with a jaunt up to Kingsbarns sandwiched in between. Staying at the Dalmahoy so makes sense to play one of their courses and we will only be able to squeeze one in.

Going by comments seems like the East course is the one to go for. Cheers all (y)

Last edited:

peld

Visit site
I am a member at Dalmahoy. As others have said you need to realise its a resort rather than a members club, so you get a lot of traffic, visitors, corporate days etc. However you do great value for money and facilities.

Weekend morning tee times are hard to get hold of as there was a huge surge in members over the last 18 months, but there are usually comps on most weeks which i play instead. Winter League is currently running which is a brilliant friendly format.

Dalmahoy is only 2 miles from my door, but I looked at all the local courses and i think its the best that is straightforward to join. Having two courses is excellent as there is always one available if there is a comp or corporate day, and it gives a lot of variety - West is short, tight, small greens (I probably only play driver on 2 or 3 holes), East is a big beast where you need a good long game, though its mostly more forgiving off the tee (exc 13 & 14!). I also live a short drive to Ratho, Pumpherston, Turnhouse, Harburn, Dundas, Gogarburn, Baberton - all are nice courses in thier own right but having the option of two, and right on my doorstep was the winner. I live about 2 miles to Ratho Park too - its a really nice course and well maintained but in my opinion gets monotonous quite quickly.

TigerBear

Visit site
I am a member at Dalmahoy. As others have said you need to realise its a resort rather than a members club, so you get a lot of traffic, visitors, corporate days etc. However you do great value for money and facilities.

Weekend morning tee times are hard to get hold of as there was a huge surge in members over the last 18 months, but there are usually comps on most weeks which i play instead. Winter League is currently running which is a brilliant friendly format.

Dalmahoy is only 2 miles from my door, but I looked at all the local courses and i think its the best that is straightforward to join. Having two courses is excellent as there is always one available if there is a comp or corporate day, and it gives a lot of variety - West is short, tight, small greens (I probably only play driver on 2 or 3 holes), East is a big beast where you need a good long game, though its mostly more forgiving off the tee (exc 13 & 14!). I also live a short drive to Ratho, Pumpherston, Turnhouse, Harburn, Dundas, Gogarburn, Baberton - all are nice courses in thier own right but having the option of two, and right on my doorstep was the winner. I live about 2 miles to Ratho Park too - its a really nice course and well maintained but in my opinion gets monotonous quite quickly.

Cheers Peld.

Any maintenance/condition issues with the West course at the moment as experienced by a poster above?

peld

Visit site
Absolutely not.
The West is arguably in better nick all year round, and is great fun to play. The greens usually drain better too after wet weather (though the soft greens on the East at the moment (and this season) where of the clubs own making as they didn’t hollow core last year).

Usually if I pop up in the evening I usually play a few holes on the West.

TigerBear

Visit site
Absolutely not.
The West is arguably in better nick all year round, and is great fun to play. The greens usually drain better too after wet weather (though the soft greens on the East at the moment (and this season) where of the clubs own making as they didn’t hollow core last year).

Usually if I pop up in the evening I usually play a few holes on the West.

That's good to know, cheers.

Why wouldn't they hollow core the greens? That's madness!

peld

Visit site
Why wouldn't they hollow core the greens? That's madness!
Agreed it is. The rationale was that they said it was only a short playing season last year so wanted to avoid disruption. Most people just think its because they didnt want to take the greenkeepers off furlough.

peld

Visit site
its independent now (well self-run but owned by Abu Dhabi Investment Authority when they bought a number of Marriott Hotels)

peld

Visit site
Have they brought in Pep yet to manage the place? Or are you still in the Mancini era?
more Stuart Pearce era i'd say.

TBH as good as the place is, it has the potential to be amazing if there was more investment - it should be head and shoulders the best place between East Lothian and Gleneagles.