Tee selection at St Andrews

Juniorinho

Visit site
Does anyone know if you are able to select which tees you can play from at the St. Andrews courses? Been looking online but can’t seem to find an answer. Wanting to play from back tees, but unsure if they will make all daily play from yellows. Thanks in advance

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Does anyone know if you are able to select which tees you can play from at the St. Andrews courses? Been looking online but can’t seem to find an answer. Wanting to play from back tees, but unsure if they will make all daily play from yellows. Thanks in advance
Hmm. Iirc, there are the tees of the day, and that's what you play from. Although you could probably tee it up on the forward tees.

Juniorinho

Visit site
Hmm. Iirc, there are the tees of the day, and that's what you play from. Although you could probably tee it up on the forward tees.

I thought that may be the case. No chance of going forwards haha, wanted to go backwards, just so I can say I played the old course at its maximum (excluding, the extra pro tees)

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
We normally play in the winter and on a Sunday, (so no chance of the Old Course) and winter tees are in place. Quite often though we see players teeing off from the back tees including the first tees next to the starter's box, so as long as you're not causing any delays I don't suppose anyone would object. However some of the Championship tees for the Old Course are beyond what is the normal boundary of the course. (I think the 12th is on the 3rd fairway of The Eden)

User20204

Visit site

Indeed, you'll play from the tees you're instructed to play from or possibly asked to leave the property, your choice I guess.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anytime I've been signed on the Old it's been from the Whites. Never been told what tees to play from.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Anytime I've been signed on the Old it's been from the Whites. Never been told what tees to play from.
same here, played from the whites, only time i played from the yellow was when my two PP didn't want to play off the white.

i doubt you would be able to play from the very back, most courses i've played with the ex of trump didn't have the very back tee's out.

If you are a Pro or plus fig and you contact the club beforehand they may let you

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As Steve said, play the whites as you like. However they're still not the longest. You can't officially play from the longest tees as they're only laid out for elite amateurs in the Links trophy and pros during the Dunhill and Open.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
FWIW, we were told to play the yellows but the whites available to play for those with lower hcp. Don’t remember the exact number but our lowest in the group was 17 at the time.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not at St Andrews, but when I go on holidays to Europe, I ask if they don’t mind me playing off the blues, because I want to enjoy it. In France at least it tends to get an appreciative nod :)