Tee marker colours in Spain

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just wondering why there are so many tee marker colours in Spain. I was looking at a scorecard and there were Black, White, Yellow, Blue and Red. We’ve always played regular mans yellow tees, ladies are red and I’ve always called white ‘championship’ tees. So what are black and blue?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just wondering why there are so many tee marker colours in Spain. I was looking at a scorecard and there were Black, White, Yellow, Blue and Red. We’ve always played regular mans yellow tees, ladies are red and I’ve always called white ‘championship’ tees. So what are black and blue?
There are no rules about the colour of tees. Different countries have different conventions.
Here, it is now common for green tees to be used by juniors.
Black or blue to be longer than whites.
Some courses have reds to be used for men & women and yellows by women & men (with gender related SSS).
In the US gold and silver are also frequently used.
My course has the whites longer than the blues because we introduced blues before Englang Golf decided to recommend the blues should be the longer tees.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks. On the scorecard I was looking at, near Benidorm, the blues were shorter than the yellows and the blacks were considerably longer than the whites.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks. On the scorecard I was looking at, near Benidorm, the blues were shorter than the yellows and the blacks were considerably longer than the whites.
Yes, sometimes blues are used for juniors or beginners in continental Europe.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I dont think that in the new order of things WHS wise that it matters.

All tees, in an ideal world, should be rated for both genders and a player should then play off the set of tees that gives him/her the most enjoyment (that being a balance between being able to play whilst still being a challenge) using a handicap that is appropriate to that set of tees (which is what the WHS will give us).

All too often I see society mixed ability groups where the tees are chosen according to who shouts the loudest (often the bloke who pummels his driver 270+ yds consistently) and you have short hitting golfers who struggle to get round a 6800yd course without a smile on their face.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We played in the USA and they had a compIlation course made up whatever yardage you wanted.
The card had seven colour tees And you used different colours on holes to make the yardage you wanted.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We played in the USA and they had a compIlation course made up whatever yardage you wanted.
The card had seven colour tees And you used different colours on holes to make the yardage you wanted.
The problem with that was that every combination had to have a Course and Slope Rating.
There is I believe a process for calculating a Score Differential for such courses.

D

Deleted member 23344

Even some courses in the UK have multiple tees ... Horsham has five tees.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yeah its typically 5 sets here (even 6 counting junior) I have noticed in recent months that they are trying to standardise the colour sequence across each course so that its uniform

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Even some courses in the UK have multiple tees ... Horsham has five tees.
But are you able to play combinations of tees in one round? As in the situation clubchamp98 describes.
These are called hybrid tees and as I understand it only certain tees may be combined for a handicap scoring round as only these combinations will have been given a rating. I am not aware of any hybrid tees in the UK but may be wrong.

Incidentally, Horsham has 2 men's (black/blue) and two women's (green/purple) tees. The orange tees are not rated. There is no rating for any hybrid there.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem with that was that every combination had to have a Course and Slope Rating.
There is I believe a process for calculating a Score Differential for such courses.
I don’t think it was used for comps .
The pro actually said “ if you want to make a few birdies and enjoy yourselves play the 6500 Tourist course.”
The back tees were 7600 yds

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But are you able to play combinations of tees in one round? As in the situation clubchamp98 describes.
These are called hybrid tees and as I understand it only certain tees may be combined for a handicap scoring round as only these combinations will have been given a rating. I am not aware of any hybrid tees in the UK but may be wrong.

Incidentally, Horsham has 2 men's (black/blue) and two women's (green/purple) tees. The orange tees are not rated. There is no rating for any hybrid there.

We use a sort of hybrid system on our 9 hole course each hole has the usual white red and yellow but if you are playing 18 you use a different tee for each 9 including the ladies who use the yellows for their second nine. In prep for the WHS reds and yellows have been rated for both sexes and each combination of tees have separate ratings.

Diamond

Visit site
I think this is a good subject. As a newby to golf only recently I found the ladies and men’s tees rather Old fashioned. It would be much better to have 28+ handicap red tees, and then everyone else yellow tees Irrespective of the gender. It would mean I can get an iron out and find a fairway instead of having to go driver.once I pop that +28 then onto the yellows. As for the whites why bother for midweek club stablefords?