Tee height

mally

Club Champion
Visit site
I believe that the general concensous is that the top of the driver should be in line with the equator of the ball to promote a sweeping action but can be amended for different conditions.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have it so that roughly the top of the ball is at the top of the driver, experiment and see what works best.

chiv

Club Champion
Visit site
I think the club should be at the centre of the ball when placed behind it to achieve a ball flight intended by the loft of the club; i.e 10.5 slightly lower than 12 that may be higher and more . This when the set up puts the ball just inside the left heel.
But when needed a low ball flight or a big lash the tees can be low/high etc..but then Im off 15 so what do I know!!

BluenoseGolfer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I used to tee my ball up so the ball equator was at the top of the driver as said above, but when i had my lesson the other day I forgot to take tee's :D so the pro only had one tee, it was a smallish one so the ball was in the center of the club, but I hit the ball better than I ever have with the driver so I'm sticking with that.

Just experiment!

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
The loft of your driver has a lot to do with your set up and angle of attack at impact (can you tell I had this discussion with my pro).

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got beestees with consistent markings so once I found the height I can set it up every time. I'm 4 for driver which has the equator fractionally below the crown of the driver.

SG86

Medal Winner
Visit site
I tee my ball very low on my Driver as it's 10.5*. I think that the ball would be 80% into the club face with around 20% showing above the top line.

I fell it gives me more control. Plus the "sweetspot" is in the middle not at the top.

I used to tee it very high and try and bomb it down the fairway finding me in the deep stuff more often than not. Now I tee it down, think I read somewhere that it adds control but could be mis remembering that.

Just me tho

SG86

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I use the Pride Golf 2.3/4 (Yellow) tees and find they. Sit the ball just nice at address infront of my R9 (Equater of the ball level with the crown)

I'll tee it a little lower if I'm hitting into the wind but otherwise find these spot on.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They used to say tee it up so half the ball is above the crown of the driver at address.
I think these days the Sweet Spot has moved a little due to the weighting and the heads themselves produce less spin. The old way of tee it high and hit up was to reduce the spin. As the head does this there is less need to tee so high.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Teeing the ball very high exposes more of the ball (potentially) to the club head if the strike is slightly off centre and being hit on the up. That can effectively allow an even more crooked shot. So ideally tee it as high as needed (but no more) to produce the necessary height and flight.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I find a smaller tee makes me hit down on the ball putting more spin (slice) on it than I need - thus I tee so the equator is almost at crown height - I thne try to sweep the ball but in reality I hit the sweet spot (pity I cant close the face tho :p )