Talking during pre-shot routine.

greencarpman

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all, I played a recent knockout match play. In which I lost. But the other bloke moaned constantly, he must of talked for the whole 3 1/2 hrs we played. I'd line up my shot, then he'd ask a question just as I addressed the ball. Okay I wasn't swinging the club, but it threw me off my shot. On the greens, course and the tee box. I've never had this before? But I could honestly say I could quit match golf after this experience. It was the longest, most annoying 3 1/2 hrs of my life! Has anyone else had an experience like this? Is it the norm?

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi all, I played a recent knockout match play. In which I lost. But the other bloke moaned constantly, he must of talked for the whole 3 1/2 hrs we played. I'd line up my shot, then he'd ask a question just as I addressed the ball. Okay I wasn't swinging the club, but it threw me off my shot. On the greens, course and the tee box. I've never had this before? But I could honestly say I could quit match golf after this experience. It was the longest, most annoying 3 1/2 hrs of my life! Has anyone else had an experience like this? Is it the norm?

Is your pre shot fairly obvious? Say, do you back off and look down the line, maybe point your club?

You should have asked him that once you start you have to restart if he chats. Its not rude for you to do so....

Congrats on the sub 4.5 hrs round though!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd have been having words three or four holes in. Definite gamesmanship and if he was that desperate to win I'd just have given him the match. Don't want to play with anyone that stoops that low and is so blatant about it all

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
As Smiffy starts his pre-shot routine I always like to mention "You haven't fatted it for a while mate!"

Works a TREAT!!!! :rofl:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just keep stepping away until you are happy. If you have to keep doing it after a few times just tell him to wait with the chat until you have played.

I got castigated by a forummer (quoting Rule 6-7) when I said I do this if a player is standing in an 'un-etiquette' or 'rule breaking' place when I was putting or driving. :)

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
If someone asked me a question after I addressed the ball, I would make it very clear that I was annoyed.
If it happened more than twice, I would ask them did they have no idea of proper golf etiquette.

Then I would sneeze on their backswing:thup:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Definitely not the norm, as you asked. Probably experienced something similar, maybe, 3 or 4 times in 40+yrs of matchplay. Usually stepping away a couple of times, and giving a death stare cures it. Only once had to tell I guy that when I've pulled the club from the bag he needs to shut up.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Definitely not the norm, as you asked. Probably experienced something similar, maybe, 3 or 4 times in 40+yrs of matchplay. Usually stepping away a couple of times, and giving a death stare cures it. Only once had to tell I guy that when I've pulled the club from the bag he needs to shut up.

Yep - you need to stamp it out. He's trying to be clever via being an ARs hole. The best way to handle it has already been outlined - keep walking away until he stops. If he still continues it does become a problem as you can only take it to committee which seems somewhat weak. I would definitely raise it in writing with the committee now anyway - it may help someone else (or you next time! )

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some people are just unable to play a match on their own ability and need mind games to help.
I usually stand and wait til they stop speaking fortunately I am happy to have my line and don't need to re do a whole routine to hit the ball, if it's a tee shot I don't take a practice swing either if I'm hitting driver, just the little spot I have picked out in front.
Persistent noise like that you need to Channel it away and just ignore the person til they realise you don't care what they have to say at that time.