Taking a break from the game

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My poor form is getting me down so much at the moment i've decided to have a month off. I've got so many negative thoughts going through my head at the moment and have developed some really bad habits in my swing so i'm going to leave it alone for a little while. The fact I only had 4 hrs sleep the other night because i kept waking up thinking about how bad my golf is was the last straw for me.

As a result i probly wont be on here for a while so will hopefully catch up with you all soon in a much better frame of mind.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that Minty but if your mind is made up there is not much point trying to persuade you to reconsider. Anyway it could be that the break does you good, and if the game is stressing you out to the extent that you are waking up thinking about it I agree a break is necessary. Golf is meant to be fun and hopefully you can start enjoying it again after your break. Best wishes for now though.

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry to hear you are not having a good time of it lately :(, golf wise, sometimes its good to take a break, its give you time to reflect and you can come back with a fresh outlook.
Have you got plenty of other things to keep you occupied.
Hope you don't leave it too long before we hear from you as your input on the forum is valued and will be missed.
Take care and good luck for when you restart.
Barb

B

birdieman

You're making me all misty-eyed....NOT

Blinking flip Minty, stop moping and get back out there immediately and start thrashing those little white gits to oblivion.

I think we need another rendition of Madandras 'My way' to cheer Minty up.

Madandra, you need to repost that song for Minty and all those who missed it first time round.

wilf_74

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Minty,

If it was me i would take a break from playing/competing and just go and practice, maybe just short game and Putting, hopefully this will bring the confidence back and the desire to play a round? Just a thought. Best of luck, hope the form returns soon..

:)

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did the same last year, Minty, and came back refreshed and with a new attitude to the game. It was all getting too serious for me. I stop and smell the flowers a bit more now and that works a treat. At the end of the day it's recreation. It's not my job.

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Minty, sorry to hear that golf is getting you down mate. Maybe a break is a good idea, i would (as stated above) just go to the driving range and practice - maybe have a lesson and just ignore the course for a month. Get the ipod on with some slow music and fine tune the swing.

It all becomes so serious so quickly. when you first start you're happy to finish a round without losing 12 balls. But as soon as you start getting a few Pars all the presure (self imposed) starts to mount.

:mad:

pjaz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Minty

Good choice - and try to view it as a positive. I took nearly a year off recently (Aug 06 to May 07) when we sold our house and had to live with the in-laws while our new house was built (slightly different reason I know, but my game wasn't doing well either). But the rest did me good, from a mental point of view I never stopped thinking about my game (picturing how i would like my swing to be etc) and I have to say I'm a better player for it. All the best.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for the kind words people but my mind is made up, 4 weeks without striking a ball is a must. I've began to get far too serious about the game and put too much pressure on my self. I still love golf as much but just need a month to forget about it and hopefully learn to enjoy it when i get back playing.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Take it easy and you will be back soon enough- I actually get grumpy if I cant get out at lease once a week - only problem is I sometimes return home grumpy as the golf can be frustrating.

wilf_74

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Enjoy the break, I think however after a few weeks you may be back, you'll get the hunger back sooner than you think!
It gets inside your head this game, and it is an addiction after all!!

May the force be with you Young (Golfing) Jedi! :rolleyes:

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you have made a wise decision. I sometimes take a week off when my swing goes to pot to save me from grooving in swing faults. By the time i come back, all the good stuff reappears and you start to enjoy it again.

Best wishes on this one!

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When you are away make sure your not thinking about the game-just totally chill out and you will return refreshed.
Even the top pros take time out to recharge the batteries.