Tacky hand resin

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It became apparent last night that my current golf grips (Cobra S3 Lamkin) are not the best with sweaty summer hands.

They are however really good under normal temperatures so i am pretty reluctant to purchase new grips.

Does anyone know if using a tacky hand resin or spray on your hands is against the rules?

I know of a few products that rugby, tennis and Crown green bowling players use. Just wanted to make sure they were all above board.

Does anyone else use similar?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Mmm, this thread gives so many opportunities for an infraction - must resist...

Seriously tho', I've only ever had one set of grips that performed badly when wet, and I put the clubs straight into the pro shop for a re-grip when I came off the course. Can't help you with any sticky juice tho'.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Do a google search for Gorilla Grip. It's like an old fashioned tac rag, that you can use on your hands and grip. Drummers and pole dancers use it. Golfers would normally use them in the rain, but would work just as well for sweaty hands. To use just wipe your hands and grips with the cloth and off you go. Not illegal either as far as I'm aware.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
The relevant part of rule 14-3:

Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment (see Appendix IV for detailed specifications and interpretations), or use any equipment in an unusual manner:
a. That might assist him in making a stroke or in his play; or
b. For the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions that might affect his play; or
c. That might assist him in gripping the club, except that:
(i) gloves may be worn provided that they are plain gloves;
(ii) resin, powder and drying or moisturising agents may be used; and
(iii) a towel or handkerchief may be wrapped around the grip.

Work away and feed back the results. I've actually worn wet gloves on a few occasions due to this same problem.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks all

Saves me wrapping black masking tape to my hands.

All joking aside i felt like the club was going to fly out my hands last night. Did not help my swing one iota.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I used Gorilla Grip when we were at Silloth, If I hadn't, I think my clubs would have gone further than my ball at times. Its only draw back was, its a bit awkward and sticky when placing the ball on your tee once it on your gloves or handling anything else.

Very good stuff though, just a towel that you dab you gloves or grip with, last for ages in a sealed wrapper.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Dry hands, dry grip and tite grip all seem to get good reviews, there was another one years back, cant remember its name now but it was great though you didnt eat while it was on your hands as it tasted so bitter it made you wretch.