Tablets

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Avoid the kindle unless it the simple ebook reader. If you are going to go android why tie yourself and your kids down to one of the worst interfaces available, also minus a youtube app btw. Better with a more open' options via Nexus or Samsung tabs. You could go down the more generic route with lesser known brands such as Ainol but I personally found support and updates for my old 7" Ainol Flame were pretty limited compared to my Samsung Tab, hardware was excellent though.

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Got a Nexus 7 and it's fantastic. Excellent battery life. Not a problem with it. The screen is still in great condition even though it used by a 5 year old and has been for the last 2 years.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
How sad. Infants spending their time on tinternet.

Have you ever seen the games on tablets? They turn education into fun for kids and that can only be a good thing. When I was younger it was either do some homework, play on my Master System or cartoons. No fun educational things to do so you can guess which was always last on my list....

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you ever seen the games on tablets? They turn education into fun for kids and that can only be a good thing. When I was younger it was either do some homework, play on my Master System or cartoons. No fun educational things to do so you can guess which was always last on my list....

Last on the list? The Master System obvs... Should have got a Nintendo ;)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My twins use their tablets to help with homework,
Some great Apps to help with core subjects such as maths and science
I would prefer them using a tablet than watching stupid cartoons on tele

How did we manage to learn before these devices? I hate to see kids glued to mobile phones and computer tablets, so many seem to miss the joys of childhood that we had.

D

Deleted member 15344

How did we manage to learn before these devices? I hate to see kids glued to mobile phones and computer tablets, so many seem to miss the joys of childhood that we had.

The joys of childhood have advanced

Tablets bring joy and education into their lives.

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

In this modern era a child needs to learn how to use computers/tablets - otherwise they will fall behind as they progress through life.

Things have moved on....

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The joys of childhood have advanced

Tablets bring joy and education into their lives.

Advanced!! I dont think so, they dont have childhood anymore, just get force fed junk.

Read a book, it's much better than facebook or computer games. Take them for a walk in the countryside, let them enjoy the beauty of the outdoors rather than McDonalds.

Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is time gor everything. My little nephew plays games on his ipad, surfs the net uses facebook the lot. He also reads books on it, looks at the news and looks up things that he does not understand. He also finds time to play rugby, golf and play cricket at under 10 county level. A tablet is just a tool that can be used to great benefit but having one does not signal the end of a normal, rewarding or productive childhood

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Advanced!! I dont think so, they dont have childhood anymore, just get force fed junk.

Read a book, it's much better than facebook or computer games. Take them for a walk in the countryside, let them enjoy the beauty of the outdoors rather than McDonalds.

My daughter loves reading books on the Kindle app on my tablet.

As others have said, it's a balance. I loved playing on my Commodore 64 when I was a lad, there's no difference. Yes just sitting in front of a tablet or Disney TV all day is not a great way to bring up a child. But I'm not sure anyone is advocating that. It's not a case of kids either relive the adventures of the Famous 5 with lashings of ginger beer or they sit playing GTA for 7 hours a day, there is a compromise.

But getting a familiarity with computers and technology is a very useful skill to pick up. And being computer literate or be able to do basic coding will be a lot more useful than being able to do joined up writing when primary school kids get into the world of work.