Swing Weight question

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi,

I have have a demo Mizuno MP 58 with a flighted PX 6.5 in it sat in my shed. Its not even close to the specs I use and has clearly had a life of its own as the ferrule is all chewed up so I guess the head has been on and off. Whatever the situation I pulled it out a few weeks ago and stuck a training aid on it. Turns out I am ripping the thing, it feels great throughout the swing so I do a little resurch. Its about 20 grams heavier than my current irons and swings at D4ish so 3 points more than my D1ish irons.

I have ordered some lead tape and shall prat around and see if I can make my current irons feel a little more like D4 but I guess I would like to know if they will feel similar with so much less total weight?

My own irons are almost unusable for a while after using the MP 58, they just feel so head light and weak but if I dont use the MP 58 for a while my irons feel normal.

Will swing weight make the head feel more obvious during the swing as in the demo club even without the extra total weight?

Thanks..

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
At the same swingweight, the two clubs should feel equivalently balanced for want of a better description. Your perception of and your ability to feel the head weight should be equivalent with both clubs.

However, the overall weight differing by 20g is significant so the overall feel of the club will certainly differ... not disimilar to what you've said above. The lighter one will feel easier to swing and to manipluate swing path compared with the heavier one.

2g headweight is the equivalent of 1 swingweight point, so 6g of tape to get your D1 irons up to D4.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
At the same swingweight, the two clubs should feel equivalently balanced for want of a better description. Your perception of and your ability to feel the head weight should be equivalent with both clubs.

However, the overall weight differing by 20g is significant so the overall feel of the club will certainly differ... not disimilar to what you've said above. The lighter one will feel easier to swing and to manipluate swing path compared with the heavier one.

2g headweight is the equivalent of 1 swingweight point, so 6g of tape to get your D1 irons up to D4.

Thanks for this, its as expected. As it happens I have done a little chart for what needs to be added to each club. Some are D1, but a couple as much as D2.5 (5 iron). No idea how I am going to get 6 grams onto some of these heads as they are a strange cavity and perimeter weighting shape (Mizuno JPX 825 Pro). I guess some on the neck and maybe some on the sole. I shall regrip soon and maybe put something a little lighter on to help this project.

Yep, total weight will still be vastly different but that actually may be a good thing. Its not like I got stronger since fitting, just maybe a little more aware of the head weight or lack of.

Lead tape is cheap so I can have a play anyhow. Driver is D3 and 3 wood is D4 so the heads with room for tape done need it :eek: