Swing weight difference

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At what differential do you think an average amateur golfer would notice a swing weight difference between one iron (same head, shaft etc) and another.

E.G D0 to D4 D0 to D6.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I reckon they might think there was something different at about 3 sw/wt points...but perhaps not quite be able to put their fingers on what the difference was.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have ping irons D3
And Callaway epic forged irons at D0 .
There is a huge difference imo.
The Epics feel like the heads fell off.
I am trying to get used to them but it’s very strange feeling being so light.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have ping irons D3
And Callaway epic forged irons at D0 .
There is a huge difference imo.
The Epics feel like the heads fell off.
I am trying to get used to them but it’s very strange feeling being so light.

I noticed when using leaderboard.com that DO and below brings up the comment - swing weight to suit a senior.

My Mizunos were built as D2 but the grips were changed (Multicompound to Tour Velvet) and an 0.5inch extension added. The clubs are in the locker so I cannot measure them yet. My question was aimed at - do I really need to do anything with them.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I noticed when using leaderboard.com that DO and below brings up the comment - swing weight to suit a senior.

My Mizunos were built as D2 but the grips were changed (Multicompound to Tour Velvet) and an 0.5inch extension added. The clubs are in the locker so I cannot measure them yet. My question was aimed at - do I really need to do anything with them.
I felt a huge difference between D3 and D0
So have got rid of the Epics I just couldn’t swing them properly.
Everyone must have a perfect weight that suits them and any lighter or heavier will be noticeable so D0 to D6 must be massive.
Having multiple sets of clubs I would have thought you would have to get the swingweight of them pretty close so you don’t feel a difference.
What the numbers would be would be different for each individual.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Brought the clubs home today.

Happy find that they are within 1 swing weight of when they were first built. They have gone from D2 to D3 and the clubs I put together match.

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I play all sorts, from ladies clubs to heavyweights, your swing adapts pretty quickly.

Yes there might be an ideal, but for amateur golfers is it critical?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play all sorts, from ladies clubs to heavyweights, your swing adapts pretty quickly.

Yes there might be an ideal, but for amateur golfers is it critical?

Trouble is by the time your swing adapts you could already be out of the potential winners circle.

One of the things I know from my last custom fit swing weight was not taken in to consideration and clubs were built to the manufacturers standard D2. I once went for a full custom fit and it was, but I learnt that having them built to custom spec is not a long term thing - change of swing etc and it becomes invalid.