Swing vid and a bit of a ramble...

Bucky

Club Champion
Visit site
Played 18 on monday and shot 81 (previous best was 88) so was absolutely over the moon. My bad shot is a push/slice. I 'think' my grip is weak and was reading up on strengthening it, so went out on Wednesday with the idea of trying a stronger grip. Was a total disaster and lost all control, duck hooks, tops, slices, you name it. Went from having a reasonable idea where the ball was heading, to none whatsoever. I realise these things rarely give instant results, and it's often a case of one step backwards, followed by two forward.

Was just messing around in the garden this eve and thought I'd video the swing, since I can't remember the last time I saw it and was curious.

Swing vid: http://youtu.be/C3v0eU0Y8NM

There's only the one view but any thoughts? I've been back playing for a year and the last lesson I had was when I was 11 or 12, so am thinking of booking a few soonish. Also, if I can scrape the pennies together for a new set of irons I may go for a fitting as I have no idea if my cheapo regular shafts are right for my swing etc. just making do with what I've got really.

Also, is this kind of flexing perfectly normal? (pics are in wrong order)

http://s1067.photobucket.com/albums/u438/steve_buck65/

Thanks in advance

Steve

woosey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Most of the flex you see will be due to the camera's CCD - i would ignore it to a great extent ;)
Swing i can't really help you with, as your shooting lower than i ever did! :p

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Ignore the flex, that is the way the camera works.

You swing like a girl! ;)

Start by looking at the movement of your right knee.....

Bucky

Club Champion
Visit site
I wasn't suggesting I thought it was impressive or powerfull or anything like that, just wondering about my shafts and wether the faxing was about right etc. didn't know if it might tell me something. Apparently not!

Talk to me about my right knee then. Might be irrelevant but my right knee is very week, need an operation (third one).

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would say that your legs are way too lively in your backswing, you should strive for a much more stable platform. Flex your knees at address so that you feel some spring in your legs but the right leg in particular should hardly move. Looks like it rocks to the side and turns out.

Bucky

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks sawtooth, it's been so long since I had any instruction i basically settled into a swing that seems comfortable and somewhat effective. I'll work on keeping that knee a bit quieter. It's possible I'm subconsciously doing it to protect my injury - I imagine I'm basically removing any stress / tension that would build through the knee during backswing?

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks sawtooth, it's been so long since I had any instruction i basically settled into a swing that seems comfortable and somewhat effective. I'll work on keeping that knee a bit quieter. It's possible I'm subconsciously doing it to protect my injury - I imagine I'm basically removing any stress / tension that would build through the knee during backswing?

Let me guess an old football injury?

I gave up footy and played more golf as a result. ACL inury in my left knee with a bit of cartilage removed. Touch wood I dont feel anything to speak of but I just know I will pay for it in later years.:confused:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree that you need to stabilise your legs in the backswing, the amount of sway in your right knee will be more harmful than if you keep it straighter and stable. Try to keep your weight inside your right heel as you swing back.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Right knee....

[click to enlarge]
weight.jpg

The right hip rotates backwards (behind you) so from the front it would appear to move LEFT, and as a result you can see that the right knee stays INSIDE the right foot.