Swing thoughts.

User20204

Visit site
I'm having some big issues off the tee at the moment and it's all in the swing thoughts. Think, lets play a small fade...boom, low straight pull 50 deep. Lets hit a draw....boom, snap hook.

The problem I'm having is, these thoughts enter my head on the downswing :eek: also the set up of the hole gives me issues. However, when I just stand up there and let rip, I natural small fade happens and is miles down.

So how does one keep the head clear, it is soo much easier said than done to just stand up and mash it cause often get the double cross as well.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Sounds to me like a slightly out to in swing path and your double cross is caused by a strong grip.
Weaken your grip slightly, that will help

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Sounds to me like a slightly out to in swing path and your double cross is caused by a strong grip.
Weaken your grip slightly, that will help
Listen. He speaketh the truth.
That (is my grip right) just adds another thought to an already crowded downswing!

I used to have similar problems when putting and a Pro suggested I tried thinking of something pleasant completely unrelated to Golf. Mine's a bit risque, but she knows and 'approves'! And it works!

User20204

Visit site
I do have a strong grip, have had for 40 years, that isn't going to change, it's what's going on in my head is causing the issues and making me change things just before impact.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There are 5 laws in golf.
One of them is clubface direction at impact.
If it points left, generally the ball will start left.
If you want to hit your fade, you will have to stop the clubface from pointing left at impact.

I do understand it's very difficult to change a grip after so long but there is a way round it.

Place the club on the ground and open the face a touch. Then take your grip and swing.
Then, even when your strong grip takes over into impact, the clubface will not point left so no more low left and no more snap hooks.
You may hit a few 'big fades' to start with but your strong grip will soon fix that.
The important thing is you will lose the double cross.

Your confidence will soon grow that it wont go left and you will get the little fade that your anxiety on the downswing will disappear.
HTH

User20204

Visit site
Went to our range this afternoon and hit about 30 drives with no thoughts, probably boomed 26 of them, went on the course for 12 holes and was 1 under, was actually 2 under thru 9, it's a funny ole game.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I was having similar issues a while back my process now:

Pre shot routine - picture the shot you want to hit.
Voice in head 'committed execute that shot'
Walk to ball ' committed' repeat
Assuming Stance ' Strong and stable
Address Ball ' 'Smooth, Smooth, Smooth' or other positive queue
Post Shot ' Find a positive, if it's terrible and you can't let the shot go and focus on the next.

My statements when addressing the ball change dependent on the scenario as I have mental queues for every type of shot now, including wedges and putting.

Tall and confident or smooth and steady often serve me well on full shots however.

It takes a while to train your mind, you need to take the process to the range. Hit 40-50 balls per session and repeat a few times. Run through the whole routine each time and repeat and repeat. Now for me i'm not saying I have an amazing mind or approach to golf but it's like i'm on autopilot, like driving a car. I don't think about it, it's just a process that comes natural now.

I honestly could never control my mind I was terrible, however I was bad for saying 'don't hook etc' which is damaging. I've read numerous books etc. and whilst i don't claim to understand the mind I have found a system that works for me. You don't have negative thoughts during your swing which is a good thing but these statements obviously have some relevance to the result you're experiencing. Might be firing off nerves, receptors and memory of shots that resulted in a snap hook or pull and your hitting exactly what you're asking for inadvertently.

My biggest issue was trying to have 'no thoughts' during the swing, It's impossible for me. Instead I quieten my mind, stick with my routine and keep it on script. Start wavering from this 'STOP' and start over.

It's a natural process now. Don't think swing thoughts, don't think shot shape. Thats all done in the visual process, let your mind connect with the visual you're feeding it then just stick to your positive thought throughout the swing.

Granted there may be swing faults which could be addressed but i do think these are inadvertently introduced at times by the mental. The dreaded 'S' that shall not be named for instance. I've seen low cappers that are brilliant ball strikers get into a downward spiral and it's because they are scared to death of hitting another.

Hope it helps.

User20204

Visit site
Interestingly enough, I briefly watched Faldo doing a podcast at Bethpage and he talked about the positive mental side of the game, standing there thinking, don't hit it in the trees, there's lots of trees, don't hit it in the trees, and what happens.....

It's a game of confidence, I found some confidence and things changed, tomorrow is another day though so we'll see how it goes but it just shows how quickly it can come and go.

Another thing I need to remove from my game is hitting the nice looking shot, the high draw off the tee is very pretty but a booming fade is just as effective, no pictures on a scorecard as the famous saying goes.