swing:takeaway

marty4

Medal Winner
Visit site
Guys,

Quick question.

When you have the clubface square at address then start your takeaway does your clubface turn naturally at the top as you rotate? The reason i'm asking is i have watched a vid of my swing and noticed i turn my clubface a split sec after takeaway thinking i need to do this to get the face ponting up at the top. Could this be the reason i hit all shots right because clubface ends up open at impact because of me changing my face angle so soon?

Cheers.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I doubt it!

But it's probably not a bad thing to eliminate either.

And club-face pointing up at the top doesn't seen right to me!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Sorry foxholer i meant the toe of the club pointing up at the top not the face..

Cheers for the reply.

And I hope that's only a half swing then. If it's a full (parallel to ground) one, then toe should be pointing at ground!

Isn't it fun trying to describe golf in words!

As for the 'problem'....There will have to be a 'compensating' movement somewhere in the swing, but that's pretty automatic imo.

Just realised I hadn't posted this reply and saw Socket's reply and your post, so confirmed.... Anyway, toe pointing directly up is actually slightly open - to be perfectly square at that point (club parallel to ground) the toe should be pointing marginally away from you (only a little bit). Still not the cause for hitting it to the right though imo. It's the stuff that happens from the top of the back-swing - and if it's simply going right it's probably more likely what is happening through the impact zone - that's most important. As there are so many possible causes - too much inside, poor hips movement, held-off hands etc - that it's dangerous trying to suggest any. You may be able to work it out yourself, or an observer (maybe with slow-mo video) may be a help. - or, of course, a Pro!

Good Luck

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Guys,

Quick question.

When you have the clubface square at address then start your takeaway does your clubface turn naturally at the top as you rotate? The reason i'm asking is i have watched a vid of my swing and noticed i turn my clubface a split sec after takeaway thinking i need to do this to get the face ponting up at the top. Could this be the reason i hit all shots right because clubface ends up open at impact because of me changing my face angle so soon?

Cheers.

Sounds like you are rolling the wrists/fanning open the club as soon as you start the takeaway?

marty4

Medal Winner
Visit site
Booked a lesson today and he stripped it all back and started again. Changed my grip, better posture and slowed my swing down.

Still going slightly right(more fading right than slicing) but hitting the ball more solid! Think a few more lessons over the winter are needed..