Swing plane using woods .. V or U

19th

Head Pro
Visit site
As someone who enjoys successful striking with woods, I have always lost distance as I have a 'rainbow' shot, with very little run, using now a 10.5% loft but the loft makes little difference to the flight.

As I endeavour to change this I wonder if I have a V (iron) type swing instead of a U - flat along the bottom, with my woods.

I remember seeing an open champion hit a ball out of light rough with a wood leaving a long grass 'burn' which would indicate that he came down and through and then up. I do not seem to be able to hit this flat spot in my swing, resulting in my high but straight flight.

If it is supposed to be flat at the bottom of the swing to allow this flattening, do you swing down, weight on your back foot and create the flat part by changing weight onto your left side as you go through, then hit the ball and then up?

This would, in my mind, be the reverse of using a ball behind the target ball to create a downward strike with an iron, squeezing the ball out.(although this is what I feel I am doing with my driver)

I can move the ball back and forward a fraction in my stance but the same shape of flight results with the ball moving right or left as a result.

Help!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I want to see a V swing! must look like they are digging spuds!
All longer clubs should have a similar path, the only difference is that you really want to graze the ground rather than take a little grass. Perhaps thinking that swings should be so different is maybe what is getting to you.

19th

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Brendy, I would imagine a U swing would also create a bit of muscular trouble as well!!

However I am sure you understood what I meant.

Do you get it to 'graze' the ground at impact only or for (in my head) a longer lower sweep along the grass thereby creating a lower trajectory??

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
To be honest, and I am probably wrong here, I still like to feel like I am hitting down on the ball with my woods. If I try to sweep it away....instant slice. (don't get me wrong, still no divots)

I try to stand a little more upright with my woods but still attempt a similar swing as my long irons. Obviously shorter irons changes things a little.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The longer the club the flatter the swing. Should work automatically. You can't swing a driver on the same plane as a wedge, you would fat it. Big time.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If the ball is on the deck you should strike down on it by 2 or 3° if it's on a tee then you want to hit it at 0 or -1° (on the way up)... whatever swing shape that brings is irrelevant but the swing is an arc so there is NO flat point.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hitting down on a wood and leaving divots isn't normal.

Surely its a sweep of the ball with woods and even long irons. Mid irons onwards I guess you do hit down progressivley more because you stand closer to ball and its a steeper angle of attack.

Perhaps thats the key, you might be standing too close with the driver, angle too steep?