Swing Change

swinger85

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi guys just a quick introduction to myself.I'm 26 I started playing 15 months ago after never playing before and after a fair few lessons and a lot of practice I have just got my first handicap of 15.

The pro I used for lessons was good for me as he basically taught me where to stand and how to hold. I have come to a crossroads with the pro and decided to try elsewhere where the other pro had all the latest computer technology.

The 2nd pro has said he was amazed how well my ball striking was considering my stance posture and grip were wrong which were a major worry of mine with the previous pro. He is now telling me that he feels it would be in my best interest to change my swing and he reckons with way I strike the ball I could be a low handicapper. Now of course that would be great and the video of myself I saw before and after was astonishing the difference in position the new pro put me in which he insisted was tour pro setup and after showing me footage of Justin rose etc I couldn't argue.

Now my question is after 15 months to be able to hit the ball well enough for 15 handicap am I mad to change or do I go along with this new pros advice and change my swing as he is talking about things like angle of attack and telling me I only swing halfway back and he will get me using full swing with control.
Any thoughts?
Any advice?
Thanks

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would go for the new swing and start working with that. Be warned you will need to allow time for it to bed in. You may get worse before you get better. Good luck with the change.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi guys just a quick introduction to myself.I'm 26 I started playing 15 months ago after never playing before and after a fair few lessons and a lot of practice I have just got my first handicap of 15.

The pro I used for lessons was good for me as he basically taught me where to stand and how to hold. I have come to a crossroads with the pro and decided to try elsewhere where the other pro had all the latest computer technology.

The 2nd pro has said he was amazed how well my ball striking was considering my stance posture and grip were wrong which were a major worry of mine with the previous pro. He is now telling me that he feels it would be in my best interest to change my swing and he reckons with way I strike the ball I could be a low handicapper. Now of course that would be great and the video of myself I saw before and after was astonishing the difference in position the new pro put me in which he insisted was tour pro setup and after showing me footage of Justin rose etc I couldn't argue.

Now my question is after 15 months to be able to hit the ball well enough for 15 handicap am I mad to change or do I go along with this new pros advice and change my swing as he is talking about things like angle of attack and telling me I only swing halfway back and he will get me using full swing with control.
Any thoughts?
Any advice?
Thanks

Like you might with a doctor, seek another opinion from a golf professional.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Like you might with a doctor, seek another opinion from a golf professional.

It sounds to me as if the first pro has taken your own unique and natural swing and got the most out of it without any major swing surgery.
The second pro wants you to be more 'by the book' which might involve changing quite a lot which would probably take a fair amount of time, money and effort on your part......and we're not talking days or weeks here.......

swinger85

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi thanks for the replies.

Hi Bob I'm not scared of the hard work that would be the new swing. The main reason I've decided to try something else is I'm seeing flaws in my natural swing that can cause real problems and I'm forever having to slightly tweak things in the setup. I'm worried about losing where I already am but also don't see much more improvement with thie first swing I built

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm worried about losing where I already am but also don't see much more improvement with thie first swing I built

You'll be OK. As for "don't see much improvement", you are most probably wrong about that. Think that way off 8 or 9.....

I say go for it.
As long as you can work hard, commit to the process, expect to play some bad rounds, and keep at it regardless, you'll get there.

Well done to get to 15 in 15....that's cool.

Trying to get better is unlikely to burn the bridges to go back.