Swing Advice

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As for the other suggestions about hips and turning, I have no idea if mine are too early, too late or ok :D if anyone would like to pass comment?

I'm quite pleased though with not losing much of my spine angle, because I used to be almost standing up straight at impact and I've been consciously trying to stop doing it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Gary, if you set up and swing the same at 2 shots and they finish 50 yards apart, it isnt the swing.
Your first shot you say went right (where your feet were pointing I guess) and the second went left (where your shoulders were pointing).

You can only hit those 2 shots by altering the clubface at impact.
That's down to the grip I'd say.
The next time you're down the range, try weakening your left hand and see if that improves your dispersion :)

on the range I hit a 290yd beautiful drive, next one was a low snap hook half the difference- the last thing I'd do now is change my grip ;)
Bobs correct the clubface has altered but I would suggest it's the swing path caused by the top and lower half not working in unison as I've already stated.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Gary, if you set up and swing the same at 2 shots and they finish 50 yards apart, it isnt the swing.
Your first shot you say went right (where your feet were pointing I guess) and the second went left (where your shoulders were pointing).

You can only hit those 2 shots by altering the clubface at impact.
That's down to the grip I'd say.
The next time you're down the range, try weakening your left hand and see if that improves your dispersion :)

Thanks Bob. After reading your replies in the morning I did try a few with a weaker left after the camera was turned off. I still hit bad ones but they weren't as far left and right as before. The one going right was a fade though rather than a push.

I have trouble seeing the V's on my hands when they're on the club, but I moved my left so my thumb was straight down the shaft. Is that too weak?

I also tried a couple standing an inch or two further away from the ball, and a good one went like a rocket! Does it look to you like I can get away with standing further away?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
on the range I hit a 290yd beautiful drive, next one was a low snap hook half the difference- the last thing I'd do now is change my grip ;)
Bobs correct the clubface has altered but I would suggest it's the swing path caused by the top and lower half not working in unison as I've already stated.

Thanks for your reply. Would you say that my top half was in front of or behind where it should be compared to my bottom half in those 2 swings?

Can you see a different swing path in those 2 swings? I find it really hard to judge things like that.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

Thanks for your reply. Would you say that my top half was in front of or behind where it should be compared to my bottom half in those 2 swings?

Can you see a different swing path in those 2 swings? I find it really hard to judge things like that.

Your swing is similar to mine, and I too, suffer the same! :D Push right, hook left, etc. And it is caused by the disconnect between arms, shoulders and body. I think changing grip won't really address the root of the problem.

On your takeaway, you can see that the shoulders and chest separate a bit (slight hands pick-up too). There's also a highly rotated turned right hip at top and i guess a flatish left arm at top too?? This tends (in my case) to see a slight stiffening of right leg and maybe a little lean to left? Then on the downswing the whole body moves in unison (rather that hips rotating first, etc.). Your shoulders are hitting the ball, rather than letting the lag swing sweep the ball. At impact your hips and shoulders are at the same open angle - hips should be more open and shoulders level/slightly open (this shows lag). Shoulders should continue rotating through to finish - they cant do this if they've rotated too early. Thus the clubface is on an in-path rather than out just after impact - you can see that clearly on the second shot you pulled. Your hands try to adapt to counteract the inconsistent swing, so you may see a worse pull or worse push!! Well, I do! ;)

I think I've just described my own swing here! :D ;)

Solution? Personally, I'm working on a smooth, solid upper body takeaway with arms and shoulders working together with little hip and leg movement. Then start downswing with some movement around axis from lower body (e.g. hip rotation).

Just my humble opinion... :cool:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Your swing is similar to mine, and I too, suffer the same! :D Push right, hook left, etc. And it is caused by the disconnect between arms, shoulders and body. I think changing grip won't really address the root of the problem.

On your takeaway, you can see that the shoulders and chest separate a bit (slight hands pick-up too). There's also a highly rotated turned right hip at top and i guess a flatish left arm at top too?? This tends (in my case) to see a slight stiffening of right leg and maybe a little lean to left? Then on the downswing the whole body moves in unison (rather that hips rotating first, etc.). Your shoulders are hitting the ball, rather than letting the lag swing sweep the ball. At impact your hips and shoulders are at the same open angle - hips should be more open and shoulders level/slightly open (this shows lag). Shoulders should continue rotating through to finish - they cant do this if they've rotated too early. Thus the clubface is on an in-path rather than out just after impact - you can see that clearly on the second shot you pulled. Your hands try to adapt to counteract the inconsistent swing, so you may see a worse pull or worse push!! Well, I do! ;)

I think I've just described my own swing here! :D ;)

Solution? Personally, I'm working on a smooth, solid upper body takeaway with arms and shoulders working together with little hip and leg movement. Then start downswing with some movement around axis from lower body (e.g. hip rotation).

Just my humble opinion... :cool:

A lot of food for thought there, thank you :)