Super Game Improvement Irons / Hybrids - Cobra Baffler

Gazcobain

Visit site
Hello guys, first-time poster here.

Started playing golf last year but the birth of our first child in August has curtailed the playing and practice over the winter. Getting into it more this year, had a few lessons with our pro and he's of the opinion that I've got a decent bit of potential, but my clubs are poor. Currently playing with a set of old Wilson Fatshafts, some cheap and cheerful Sports Direct Dunlop hybrids and three wood, a Jack Nicklaus putter and a Callaway driver that my father-in-law gave me.

I'm playing off 27 (should be 28) and my average scores are in the low 100s. I've been advised to look in the SGI category and I'm thinking of the Cobra Baffler Hybrid set, as it replaces my irons and, especially, my terrible hybrids. Link is here: http://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/Cobra-Baffler-Iron-Hybrid-Combo-Set-Steel-Shafts.html. Would be going for the 4H and 5H with the 6I, 7I, 8I, 9I, PW and SW combo for £449.99.

Anyone any thoughts on these clubs? I've not yet tried them but my pro reckons they're some of the best SGI clubs he's ever seen. Any advice appreciated.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would keep the Fatshafts they are a decent set, then buy a new putter and driver ( most used clubs in round )

Or get a new set of Wilson Staff Di11 approx £200 from AG

They are a great set of irons

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
SGI sets can be had much cheaper than that.

In your circumstances, I'd wait until later this year before splashing out.

Welcome to the fantastic frustrating addiction that is golf but I suspect there'll be higher priority purchases to be made very shortly.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Buy second hand Ping G15s second hand on ebay for around £230.

Add in a Ping K15 driver (circa £60), a G15 3 wood (circa £50) a few wedges (circa £50 in total) and a putter you like the look of (£40) and you'll have a HUGELY forgiving set of clubs all for £430. You'd just need to add in some hybrids if you really wanted them.

Gazcobain

Visit site
Cheers for the advice guys.

I'd considered the G15s, but was thinking of the Cobras because I'm needing to replace my hybrids as well. My driver is fine for now I think - it's a 13.5 Diablo Octane Black and it's pretty forgiving.

The problem I have is affordability - I don't have a spare £400 - £500 in cash just now, this is what's attracting me to buying new, because I can pay up over 12 months, which financially isn't a problem, but of course means that I'm kind of forced to buy a new set.

Bearing this in mind, are there any other SGI sets of irons and hybrids that can be gotten for the £400~ mark?

Cheers!

Wooky

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Another vote for G15,s.
I bought a set a while ago, very forgiving & lovely to play with.
I paid £270 for a nearly new set (been used for 3 rounds!)
My set was 4 - SW (inc a 50 degree GW)
I have recently added 2x G15 hybrids to my set.