Sunday golf quiz question

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
most folks have heard the term 'rolling release' or 'roll over release' when hands & fore-arms roll over creating a bunch of club face rotation (bordering upto 180º of face rotation) to square the club into impact

this was pretty prevalent in teaching for a whole bunch of time as the main method to have a club face get to square at impact

does anyone know why & when this method evolved & the reason why it did ? - PGA Pro's excluded from taking part :)

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Coach, either your account has been hacked or you seem to have forgotten how this forum works.

WE post complex questions with very little relevant information, to which YOU then reply with very comprehensive, very detailed, very easy to understand replies that solve all our problems.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Coach, either your account has been hacked or you seem to have forgotten how this forum works.

WE post complex questions with very little relevant information, to which YOU then reply with very comprehensive, very detailed, very easy to understand replies that solve all our problems.

ha- ha !! :)

no not hacked as 'open' sunday just thought I'd post a quiz question - of which the answer/s really originates from the uk

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'll have a stab at an answer

It was started a long while ago

because they didn't have Trackman to analyse their swings properly

please send my prize to ........ Mr Chri ........

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As the club was swung down the shaft twisted and so left the face open, resulting in a slice, rolling the wrists corrected this?

okay that's close enough will give you that :thup:

the initial 'flex' point of the hickory shaft because of weight in the club head & the wooden shaft was/is in top 1/3rd of the shaft nearer to the handle

so when the player changed the direction of movement at transition into the top half of the downswing with the weight of the club head the shaft torqued clockwise so actively 'opened' the club face a ways open

so players learnt that to get the face anywheres near to square into impact consistently required actively rolling over the forearms wrists & hands - so roll release or roll & release & the few other names it goes by
it then remained as a primary teaching thought long after the shafts changed over to steel

just thought a 'sunday quiz golf question' might prove an interesting change/diversion from the norm so that's the reason I posted it up in the 1st place

- suppose if anyone interested in making it a regular thing then the 'winner' could pose the next sunday question ? just would have to be something that wasn't that easily searched on friend google

so up to you Crow if you want to take it on next sunday - if not no problem - i'll think of another question & if it runs it runs if not no worries