Summer reading, suggestions required.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well folks its that time of year again. Madandra's annual book purchase due to 14 days all inclusive at the side of a pool in a warm climate and I need some recommendations regarding some reading material. I am open to suggestions outwith the golfing world. I am a nosey bu66er and like autobiography's and informative input. I read Alan Brazils book last summer and enjoyed it.

I am away from the 15th of July so this gives me time to track down anything I need to purchase or if anyone wants to lend me a book I will return it as soon as I get back.

I hope this doesn't sound a bit tight of me but its just an idea.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I have Seve's autobiography I can send up to you.

Also if you like true-crime type bios I have "The Guvnor" By Lenny McLean (my favourite) which I would happily send.

Others include, Blessed - George Best, John - Cynthia Lennon and a few more.

Let us know if u want a butchers and PM me address for posting.

Jon

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
The guvnor is a superb read i just came back from the sun and i took with me 'the golfers mind' and 'putting out of your mind' by the dr bob rotella so feel refreshed to give his advice a go

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with forefortheday, go for Tom Cox, bring me the head of sergio Garcia.

Also recommend four iron in the soul, cant remember the writer, my hangover is too bad.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Concur with nomad' - a good solid read.

For an alternative take on the subject there are also the three volumes of The Science of Discworld - Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen. All is not as it seems.

(I should perhaps add that I have been awarded the degree, Bf(UU))

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bill Bryson's ' A short history of nearly everything' - Should last you the whole 2 weeks . Informative and intersting

Very good book this. I would recommend it, although I much prefered his travel journals. Especially "Notes From a Small Island" and "Down Under"

If it's autobiographies you're interested in Andy, Don't mess about. Go for the greatest one ever written.

<u> "The Moon's A Balloon!" David Niven</u>

It may not be about sports, but it is by far the greatest, most enjoyable biography ever.
His second effort <u> "Bring On The Empty Horses!"</u> is utterly superb as well.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bill Bryson's ' A short history of nearly everything' - Should last you the whole 2 weeks . Informative and intersting

Very good book this. I would recommend it, although I much prefered his travel journals. Especially "Notes From a Small Island" and "Down Under"

Notes from a Small Island is great - loved the description of Blackpool - so true!

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another I read recently was <u> Where Did It All Go Right</u> by Andrew Collins. It's about growing up in the seventies and eighties. Took me right back to my younger days. You're the right age for it as well Andy.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Try the local charity shops. You will get great cheap books that you can leave back when you finish them.

I am currently reading three books. A good walk spoiled...its kept in the car (Im a sales rep and read it at lunchtime) Nick Faldos auto in the bedroom and the Monty auto in the toilet!!

My next book is Darren Clarke Golf the mind factor. Also picked up Greg Norman , Peter Aliss, autos and few other golf mind/mental books from the charity shops from 25p to £1.50

Would work out cheaper than posting them and you can keep the good ones.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
With Atticus 100% both the Niven books are awesome. Read between the lines when he talks about his second marriage and it breaks your heart.

Four Iron In The Soul is excellent,its by Lawrence Donegan who writes for the Guardian now I think as well. If I remember right he was the drummer on "Young at heart" a hit in the 80's and again when VW used it in a commercial.

"Barry" by Steve Parrish and Nick Harris is a fantastic touching autobiography of Barry Sheene,it really captures the soul of the man.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Caddy for Life - John Feinstein's biog of Tom Watson's caddy Bruce Edwards (if you don't have a sniffle at the end, then you're a hard bvgger)

Long Walk to Freedom - Nelson Mandela's autobiog. Should keep you going for most of the holiday.

(It was Laurence Donegan who did Four Iron in the Soul. Good read too)

grumpyjock

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It all depends upon which is your prefference, golf or fiction/fact.
If golf would recomend The Big Match, if fiction would go for the Discworld series.
Have just read all of Rotellas improvers and found them very intresting but full of the basics.
If you are into fantasy you could try the Sword of Shadows collection by J V Jones.