Stupid Mistake!

• Thread starter Deleted member 23344
  • Start date

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Our irritation was compounded by us having scored a grand total of 11 stableford points over the first 8 holes (we had got well wrecked in the hotel the night before and so had minging hangovers) - and so when my mate hit the green we were well relieved...and then...

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Cruel example I have of this:

We were playing as a fourball, and one of my FCs hit his ball OOB. I lent him my spare ball and he striped it down the fairway. The four of us walked down, I went to "my ball", and noted that it had my marking. After I played it, the chap I'd lent the ball to announced that the ball he was at wasn't his. Sure enough, I had checked for my personal mark but still managed to play the ball I'd lent to my mate. We still joke about it years later - if he ever needs to borrow a second ball, he ain't getting mine!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I played with a guy at the club and recalled him calling out on the 1st tee how he marked his ball - and I noted that it was of a sort that I hadn't tried before. A few days later - blundering about the rough looking for my ball - I happened upon what I was sure was one belonging to my friend of a few days before - and so looked forward to trying it out. He was in the clubhouse. I said that I think I had found a ball of his. He looked at it - said thankyou - and stuck it in his pocket...;)

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I always mark my ball. Cracked it into the woods off the tee. Strode in and found it, same ball, same markings. Knocked it out, onto the green, marked and picked it up to clean it, only to realise, exactly the same type of ball, same markings, but not my ball............

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes similar. I was helping my mate out for a rabbits match for Ashburnham Golf Club away to Cardigan Golf Club. We all teed off, all pretty much in the fairway and I was the furthest so was standing by my ball watching the other players approach shots into the green. My mate hit a decent shot but run off the back of the green. The other two chaps from Cardigan hit theirs, one was wild and the other was about 20 yards short. So I play mine just right of the green.

As me and my mate walk ahead to our balls, he suddenly stops at the ball 20 yards short of the green. So I say "Paul thats not your ball mate, yours went over the back." to which he replies "Hmm I think it is", I argue and urge him to just check it, but nope he doesn't really check, then chips on to the green. Gets on the green, marks 'his' ball, picks it up..... "F***.. this isn't my ball?" 1 down after 1 :mmm:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The one time it has happened to me I did not realise until I was on the green (same make of ball) and no one else was around. Then I remembered the last person of our group was forced to wait to drive as someone came across from the adjoining fairway to play a ball.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If the rest of my group are using a particular brand (usually either Titleist or Callaway, Srixon) I'll make sure I use different make (Vice, TM etc) or make it clear it's a different ball so use a yellow model or a Truvis. I wish I'd put that rather joined up thinking into action before my unfortunate mistake. Lesson learned

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You're not a golfer if you have never played a wrong ball. Most people only do it once. Mine have my daughter's name printed on them.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played the PGA course at the Belfry about three years ago. One of the other players in our group and I both hit our drives down the fairway. He usually out drives me so I went to the first ball, saw a red line on it and played my next shot that ran through the green. The other player then hit his shot on to the green. I chipped my ball on to the green and went to mark it and found it wasn't mine. We had both played the wrong ball as he also had put a red line on his and neither of us had checked properly.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always mark my ball. Cracked it into the woods off the tee. Strode in and found it, same ball, same markings. Knocked it out, onto the green, marked and picked it up to clean it, only to realise, exactly the same type of ball, same markings, but not my ball............
How did you know it wasn't yours then??

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a little gripe at one guy I play with recently. I was telling him he must put markings on his ball and showed him mine. Next time I played with him he had putt markings on his balls that were identical to what I put on mine.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a little gripe at one guy I play with recently. I was telling him he must put markings on his ball and showed him mine. Next time I played with him he had putt markings on his balls that were identical to what I put on mine.
:rofl: Well he was only following instructions? "You must mark your ball, like mine!"