Stupid injuries

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played at Ponteland on Thursday. It was the morning after that big storm and there were fallen branches all over the place.

On one hole, my ball came to rest under a massive branch which was on the edge of the fairway. Rather than take a drop, I stupidly decided to mark my ball, and move the branch out of the way. I grabbed hold of it and dragged it about 10 yards out of the way. Felt a twinge in my back, but was fine to carry on.

Come Friday morning, I was in agony. could hardly get up or down stairs. Getting slowly better but still in pain, reckon it will be another 4 or 5 days before I'm fit to swing a club again.

Really annoyed with myself, had to cancel games on Friday and today, and have not been able to doing anything worthwhile over the weekend, all because of one silly decision.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did a similar thing 3-4 years ago lifting a mobile cricket net. Never had a problem with my back before, still have issues now. Get a hot water bottle on it, take ibuprofen to reduce any muscular impact.

On a secondary note, what did you think of Ponteland, never played it before.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I did a similar thing 3-4 years ago lifting a mobile cricket net. Never had a problem with my back before, still have issues now. Get a hot water bottle on it, take ibuprofen to reduce any muscular impact.

On a secondary note, what did you think of Ponteland, never played it before.

Have been putting ibuprofen gel on my back, seems to be helping.

I was a little bit disappointed in Ponteland. I'd been told it was top notch for round here, and while it was decent enough, I prefer our place. It's very wide open and I think if you played it regularly, you wouldn't find it a great challenge. It's very flat, and a lot of the holes seemed pretty similar. Saying that, I probably didn't see it at it best as it was in a bit of a state after the previous day's storm.

Thought the staff on the course had a bit of a poor attitude - on one hole there was a guy about 100 yards ahead of our drives, on the fairway, feeding branches into one of those machines that eats them up. We waited for him to move to the side so we could play our second shots, but he had no intention of moving. I gestured for him to get out of the way, but he just stood there, working on the machine, and giving us the odd glance. In the end I had to play over his head, which I didn't feel comfortable about. He avoided eye contact when we walked past. Did notice that other greenkeepers would just carry on with what they were doing when folk were playing. Maybe I'm spoiled, but at our place they keep an eye out for players, and stop what they are doing if you are playing a shot nearby.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Generally green staff have preference on most courses I’ve played, especially in the middle of a major clear up.
I’d be giving them a bit of slack in those conditions

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sign of getting older - some days just get out of bed with little injuries or odd aches and pains. I'm sure that never used to happen :rolleyes:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have been putting ibuprofen gel on my back, seems to be helping.

Thought the staff on the course had a bit of a poor attitude - on one hole there was a guy about 100 yards ahead of our drives, on the fairway, feeding branches into one of those machines that eats them up. We waited for him to move to the side so we could play our second shots, but he had no intention of moving. .

If he was using a brushwood chipper, then its likely he was a tree contractor rather than greens staff - so probably less familiar with "on-course operational practices" than are the proper greens staff. But Fragger still has a good point.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If he was using a brushwood chipper, then its likely he was a tree contractor rather than greens staff - so probably less familiar with "on-course operational practices" than are the proper greens staff. But Fragger still has a good point.
Yes wait , but if he has a long job he should just move for a min while you play.
Mainly for his own safety !
In a knock I would just move my ball sideways so he is not in the firing line , just common sense really.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why did you mark the ball?

It was a massive branch with lots of smaller branches and foliage. My ball had come to rest underneath it and I reckoned there was a good chance of moving my ball when dragging the branch clear. Of course there was also a good chance of moving the marker as well, but I don’t always think straight!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was a massive branch with lots of smaller branches and foliage. My ball had come to rest underneath it and I reckoned there was a good chance of moving my ball when dragging the branch clear. Of course there was also a good chance of moving the marker as well, but I don’t always think straight!
If you moved the ball it's a penalty and you simply replace (if you don't know where the ball was exactly you will just drop it at your best estimate - as you would if you moved the marker)

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hurt my back a few years ago. Never been the same since. It'll be fine for a while then out of nowhere it'll start giving me problems again. Off to see the Chiropractor again tomorrow :(

And I injured it in the most innocuous way. I was sitting on the settee watching TV, leaned forward to pick up a can of coke and suddenly sneezed. Felt a massive rip in my lower back. As I say, never been the same since.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
need more info on your statement.:)

It’s quite simple
Our friend Fundy is made from Balsa wood, if it can be torn, pulled, or stretched, he has probably torn, pulled or stretched it at some point in time.

Sort of like Jack Wilshire, but not as good 😂😂👍😬

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have had a back problem for years.....its a lottery as to when it will stop me playing. Thing is I have learnt over the years there is nothing you can do with any confidence to prevent a mishap. It has went with the most benign thing......the same thing I could do a hundred times with no impact, but on this one occasion it decided it didn't like it. It's life and you just wait for it to be better and carry on

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Reading my phone is bed last Saturday, went to shuffle towards the middle of the bed and used my head to pivot and lift myself up to aid sliding. Que a twinge and as a result a stiff neck for a week.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had back problems for ages and it can sometimes get very sore on the course as it did the other week when I had to play 36 holes in one day. Did something very silly yesterday and hit my ball towards some nettles. Stopped on the edge and thought I could play without any risk. Managed to get in to address it without any difficulty but forgot I had to then move my arms back to play the shot and so brushed a lot of them executing. Before the ball had landed I could feel the pain and that horrid background type of itch. Fortunately I carry a small medicine box in my bag and piriton helped. A case of being too focused on my score and over estimating the space. On the plus side I made a net par so no damage to the scorecard