Stuck On The Downswing

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No matter what I seem to think when I am swinging the club, I always seem to end up in this position at impact. I try to rotate my hips on the downswing, but I seem to automatically straighten up and get flat-footed at impact.

[image]
StuckHere.jpg
[/image] [image]

BTW my shirt is billowing out at the front, I'm not that much of a fat barsteward :D :D

I struggle with consistency losing then both left and right but would really appreciate a few tips on achieving a better impact position and hopefully some more consistency.

Any tips gratefully received.

Thanks

SHW

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Firstly, you're not alone in this position, loads of people do this (even Kenny Perry)
It's not so much rotating your hips as firing your right knee.
Think about firing your right knee as the club shaft passes it.
A drill I use is to get into the impact position you want but at address ie. hips turned, right heal off the ground, right knee turned in etc. Then do a half backswing then swing through to a full finish. This should give you the feeling of turning through the ball, not hitting at it.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks Bob - just to be clear when you say firing the right knee should it head toward the left knee (and evenb touch?)or adjacent to it at the front (meaning the hips have rotated 90 degrees?) - does this make sense

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks Bob - just to be clear when you say firing the right knee should it head toward the left knee (and evenb touch?)or adjacent to it at the front (meaning the hips have rotated 90 degrees?) - does this make sense

The latter. They certainly shouldn't touch and make sure you have a good balanced finish up on your right toe at the end of your swing.
Can you upload your swing into youtube and then post the link here, or send me the link in a pm if preferred?

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bob

Here is my swing - taken a few months back though as I couldn't get the video I took yesterday to work properly.

The action is the same though!!

My Swing

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Well SHW a very good swing, lots of good positions.
Only 2 things to say really.
1. At address, it seems you are a bit in the heels. Ideally, I'd like to see your feet a little bit more under your body

snaphw2.jpg

And secondly and the more urgent issue is your foot work as you said yourself.
Well into the follow through the right foot and hips haven't moved at all.

snaphw1.jpg

As I said earlier, get that heal off the ground at impact and turn more and the hook should vanish :)

Bobirdie

Journeyman Pro
www.williamsdoubleglazing.co.uk
good bit of advice i got was

feel as if theres an elastic band tied between your left cheek and a wall

as you swing back and your hips rotate the tension increases.

Feel as if you start the down swing with the elastic band pulling your left cheeck back towards the wall

and also drive the right knee through :p