Struggling from the Range to the Course

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Any advice much appreciated:

Situation: On the Range, my driver is pretty good, not great 100% of the time but I'd say its okay. I always try and give myself strict targets and imaginary fairways to hit, and I try to follow my on course pre shot routine.

On the Course: Unless it really needs it, I take my Ping Crossover for the first tee to calm my nerves and see how I am swinging then for the first few holes. if good, I'll grab for the driver. I don't feel pressure, the desire to hit it well, I just focus on the key swing thoughts, visualise and let rip. I don't freeze on the tee thinking - must hit it straight, mustn't make a bad shot etc. I feel relaxed. Pre shot routine is good and always followed.

Some times this works - longest drives this season = 312, 295 and 282 (Garmin S20). However, there is no consistency.

Main issue: I rush the downswing from about 3/4 on the back swing or from the top = no full shoulder turn, head comes up, right knee straightens etc, resulting in a sever topping of the ball or a horrible shank right about 3 foot distance. Both very embarrassing. It is all very frustrating.

Question: I have no idea really about how to gain consistency from what I do on the Range with the driver onto the course?

Hope anyone out there can help.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
do you warm up before play? if not you should be would be my advice

if you do so - is it a warm-up? - in just focusing on rhythm, balance, at 80% effort with that as the sole warm-up focus, hit a bad one discard it don't try to fix it with technical thoughts, time to do that has passed, just keep the focus on rhythm, balance, tempo at 80% the majority of contact should be good some will be mishit don't go into tech analytical mode

in the practice is the majority of practice 'block practice' so a number of shots to a target with the same club without walking away and lining up any of the shots from behind - obvious but we don't 'play' golf that ways

for sure there's a place for technique block practice number of balls with one club to target if working on a 'feel' or a change but even that should not be 'drag and hit' to an unchanged set-up

given the issue - how much 'random target practice' takes place - from the mat (perfect lie - but also any practice done aways from the mat differing stance lies, below ball, above, uphill, downhill, first cut length, secondary cut length lies)
random target practice at range never hit any shot out on the same line (square to the mat) hit alternate center, leftfield, rightfield to diferent distance targets with always a different club - so never the same club even to a different target
really define down those targets work out a numerical score to the result of the shot outcome but be hard on the marking, keep score, so next practice session as something to beat, make it competitive, make it tough, make it completely random target and club, always start from behind each ball - make it echo play out on the course

out in real play is target always picked and isolated with the line from behind the ball

is the strategy planning, so what club, note of conditions made at the bag
then from back of the ball line really defined, ball, spot couple inches to a foot say in front of ball line through that to the 'defined' target - practice swing/s, maybes takaway reminder or whatever the one swing thought reminder (say like the namesake J Rose will always do that one signature practice feel at the area behind the ball the 'thinking space' (again this all done in small amount of real time so still playing the shot 'in good time' overall not being overlong here)

then imagine from this thinking target, practice swing area behind the ball, maybes that one feel move 'seeing' a line between there and the ball - soon as that 'line' gets stepped over it's into 'play, execute mode' so the whole focus in the target out there where the ball is going to be sent, see the line through the 3 points ball/spot/target step up take set-up 1, 2 waggles, 1, 2 looks at target (whatever that psr that's been used in practice is) but no technical thoughts moves or practice swings here the other side on that line - reason I say this is this play part needs to be about target and the brains reaction to target, so the swing motion is then made more purely on automatic reaction to target - no practice swings, tech moves getting in the ways once that 'line' has been stepped over

just some thoughts that maybes will help some

also on the main issue para - this sounds very much like the swing motion is trying to be made at real full speed right on the limit - given the outcomes outlined
- would suggest really think about trying to key into rhythm and balance so swinging at a speed that balance through the motion can be maintained which also can be held at the end of the motion - likely to be able to make solid contact a bunch more consistently - don't major on distance and speed of swing or 'hit' at the ball - swing through the position the ball occupies, and do it in balance

Last edited:

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks Coach, that's really useful advice. Much appreciated. I really want to be able to use my driver as even though my Crossover gets me to the fairway, I am leaving myself short on the long par fours.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm certainly no expert, but the fact you felt the need to mention distances, suggests to me you're trying to absolutely nail it. Pick a spot around 250 yards and aim to swing for that. You'll probably end up hitting it past it if you can hit it 300 yd+ drives, but it means you won't be trying to absolutely rip it.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
not sure it's that wise to consume all the snacks and drinks in the bag before the 1st tee box .... maybes that's the reason the games not improving over much ......

Didn't realise that you had played with Smiffy Coach.

His other usual pre-game routine is to roll another cigarette just before teeing off.:rolleyes:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Didn't realise that you had played with Smiffy Coach.

His other usual pre-game routine is to roll another cigarette just before teeing off.:rolleyes:

That's Smiffy's form of Ready Golf - a couple of puffs and he's wheezing off down the 1st like a steam train. :lol:

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
the_coach said:
also on the main issue para - this sounds very much like the swing motion is trying to be made at real full speed right on the limit - given the outcomes outlined
- would suggest really think about trying to key into rhythm and balance so swinging at a speed that balance through the motion can be maintained which also can be held at the end of the motion - likely to be able to make solid contact a bunch more consistently - don't major on distance and speed of swing or 'hit' at the ball - swing through the position the ball occupies, and do it in balance
Read more at http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/sh...m-the-Range-to-the-Course#StITOv4mF6lYrkqH.99

I'm certainly no expert, but the fact you felt the need to mention distances, suggests to me you're trying to absolutely nail it. Pick a spot around 250 yards and aim to swing for that. You'll probably end up hitting it past it if you can hit it 300 yd+ drives, but it means you won't be trying to absolutely rip it.

thanks for your excellent advice. I went to the range last night and tried to put this into my practise. Seemed to go okay, but i'll have to wait and see how it goes when I next play. thanks again!

D

Deleted member 21258

Not being a swing thought based player but rather feel based, I tend to look at flights and when we played at Cooden together, IIRC all the flights with the driver/woods were very low(ignoring direction) but your irons fly on a high flight, that to me means you are either hitting it on the bottom of the woods or getting your body or hands well ahead at impact or hitting down with the driver. So for me personally I would try to hit it off the top half of the club to get a better flight, which may give you something to think about to get your rhythm right with the woods.

I would say that you may wish to video a swing with the driver and a swing with the iron, whilst on the course(not at the range).

As I got the feeling that you appeared to swing the driver a lot harder (or didn't let the club drop down before ripping into it, not that I can talk with my swing as like to swing hard :eek:). When compared to your irons, your iron swing was quite a nice rhythm and then a rip though the ball.

I tend to say to myself when I am nervous(so like at cooden) on the 1st, and as I start the backswing, slow slow slow, until I cant anymore as I am hitting the ball.

Hope it all works out for you.:thup:

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
thanks for your excellent advice. I went to the range last night and tried to put this into my practise. Seemed to go okay, but i'll have to wait and see how it goes when I next play. thanks again!

Let's hope you can take it from the range out to the course! :)

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
just wanted to update you. I've played twice since this post, and had a lesson with my Pro, after spending time on the range trying to sort this issue out. I am happy to say that it all seems to be heading in the right direction. I was swinging more controlled and not trying to lash the hell out of the ball, well once or twice maybe but old habits die hard etc. Sunday saw me playing against a former scratch player now of 4 and a 12 handicapper and I held my own scoring 34 against their 38 and 39. The most important parts of the game for me were putting the ball into a position where I could play it, hitting or getting very close to the greens in regulation and my chipping onto the greens. My shots to the 4 pars 3s were all on target but short, so need to work on club selection, full swing distance etc. but very pleased with the way I played both physically and mentally.

Thanks for all the words of advice - I think they helped!

Next gap really is the fairway woods.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
" I take my Ping Crossover for the first tee to calm my nerves"

The decision to reference calming the nerves suggests that as well as all the advice given you need to seriously review why you are playing golf!

I know it's hard, and I'm ultra competitive, but one of the fastest ways to perform better is to remove the stress - whether it's placed on you or by you (in this case I suspect the latter from your post).

Flip the equation - not 'it doesn't matter if I miss the fairway/whatever' but 'I can hit this fairway all day long, so let's try and favour the right centre on this shot...'