Stronger lofts even Mizuno are at it now

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Was having a look at the new Mizuno Flihi replacement long irons. Quite liked the look of them and was thinking of getting the 2 iron.

only trouble is, now the 2 iron is 16 deg which is a 1 iron. The 3 iron is 19 deg which is a 2 iron to all intense and purpose.

what was wrong with a 2 iron being a 2 iron and a 3 simply that etc?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought that the lofts needed to be more aggressive due to the perimeter weighting in modern irons causing higher launch and so the lofts have to be decreased to keep the distances and it was nothing to do with your 7 iron now effectively being a 5 iron. I could be wrong though.

D

Deleted member 23270

Yep, all to do with willy waving. Nobody wants to admit to hitting 'more club' on a par 3 than your PP's!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I thought that the lofts needed to be more aggressive due to the perimeter weighting in modern irons causing higher launch and so the lofts have to be decreased to keep the distances and it was nothing to do with your 7 iron now effectively being a 5 iron. I could be wrong though.

that would be fine but the last Hi Fli they made had a 1 iron that was 16 deg, a 2 iron that was 18 and 3 of 21 4 24 and they had far more parameter weighting than the new one

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
that would be fine but the last Hi Fli they made had a 1 iron that was 16 deg, a 2 iron that was 18 and 3 of 21 4 24 and they had far more parameter weighting than the new one

Still, if the newer model is higher launching then the loft would need to be lowered to match the older model. Not saying that is the case but is a possibility.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yu, those were my thoughts as well, higher launching clubs need the lofts cranked to keep the distance.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yu, those were my thoughts as well, higher launching clubs need the lofts cranked to keep the distance.

not sure they are, same shafts smaller head on the new ones with less Parameter weighting then the 2015 model.

but even if what you say is true why call it a 2 iron when its a 1, why not just say 16 deg 19 deg etc?

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
not sure they are, same shafts smaller head on the new ones with less Parameter weighting then the 2015 model.

but even if what you say is true why call it a 2 iron when its a 1, why not just say 16 deg 19 deg etc?

Good point, which is why when playing a round and someone says, 170yds to the pin I'll take my 8 iron, they get ignored, as their 8 could be the same as my 6.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good point, which is why when playing a round and someone says, 170yds to the pin I'll take my 8 iron, they get ignored, as their 8 could be the same as my 6.

Exactly. My mates 7 iron (newish TM) is a half inch longer with less loft than my 7 iron (716 AP2). On par 3's where he hits a 7i and I hit a 6i we are effectively hitting the same club.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

What are the lofts of the new Mizzy irons?
If the 5 irons are around 25° then the 4s will be 21, 3s @18 etc etc....

It is daft though...a 2 iron at 16° - 1 iron @ 12°?:rofl:
That's like John Daly's Zero iron from way back when.....

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mizuno need to get with the current trend as I think it is maybe hurting them in the general weekend golfer market. People are obsessed with distance. When I got my irons I tried several sets out and the Mizuno where definitely the shortest hitting, but also had higher lofts than the others I tried. So I was basically testing out a mizuno 6i against other manufactures 6 irons with the loft of a Mizuno 5i. Some people would have dismissed the Mizuno for that, I didn't because I have no interest in willy waving by hitting the shortest club.

I'm a Mizuno iron player through and through and yes I can't wait for the 15th so I can go and try out the new FliHi irons. I really miss not having a 2i and will be getting the 3i with the 2i loft and that god damn rescue club of mine is going on ebay.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's all a bit silly but the only thing that matters is the same thing as what has always mattered, how far YOU can hit each club. Not bothered one bit what number is on the bottom.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got Mizuno 900 Tours.

There equipment aimed at the 'better' golfer still uses the sort of lofts that have been around since the late 90s (still less loft than early 90s clubs)

The loft on the 7 iron is 34 degree compared to the loft of 30 degrees on a TM M2 Tour 7 iron.

However the loft on the Mizuno 900 7 iron forged is 31.

elmoag

Club Champion
Visit site
The number on the club younhit is now practically irrelevant to what it used to be. I have recently went back to my set that are 23 years old and they go nowhere as the lofts are so far removed. They feel amazing though
My ego has just had to get used to using a 7 iron when others are hitting 9

D

Deleted member 15344

Does it really matter ? As long as you know how far you hit each club it's irrelevant the number on the bottom.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My own take is simple. Irrespective of make, go out and learn your distances for your own game ideally using real balls. My own preference is hitting off grass too but using a launch monitor would suffice. It's all about your own game and makes no difference if you hit a different, lower numbered club into a hole as long as you're hitting target

Ragamuffin Gunner

Medal Winner
Visit site
I guess it does make a difference at the end of the range. Perhaps a set with "modern lofts" should now include a 10-iron? If it doesn't, you'll end up needing a wedge with appropriate loft. Have sales of 46deg wedges picked up since clubs have been made with such stronger lofts? If not, why not?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess it does make a difference at the end of the range. Perhaps a set with "modern lofts" should now include a 10-iron? If it doesn't, you'll end up needing a wedge with appropriate loft. Have sales of 46deg wedges picked up since clubs have been made with such stronger lofts? If not, why not?

My Wilson Staff fluid feel (forged muscle backs) from the 1980's have a 10 iron.

Doesn't make any difference to how it works.

Just get the clubs you are happy using and ignore the make, lofts, and other technical stuff

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's all a bit silly but the only thing that matters is the same thing as what has always mattered, how far YOU can hit each club. Not bothered one bit what number is on the bottom.

It's not how far you can, it's how far it's going to go. I can hit an 8 160, just not very often.

Not being pedantic or anything... honest!