Strengthening the core

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
I posted recently about suffering an aching back following some prolonged golf sessions over the period of a few successive days.
One poster amongst others suggested my core muscles may be slightly weak.

So, my question is................ how do I strengthen my core? Has anyone any good tips or regimes to sort out this obvious weakness please?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The consultant I saw about my dodgy lower back recommended pilates.

Specifically he recommended using the darcey bussel dvd. It's very easy to follow, and contains a number of exercises and sensible advice. Not unpleasant on the eye either.....

chunkiesgreat

Hacker
Visit site
There are a varity of ways. Most common being the plank and crunches(like situps). I would also say that the core isn't just the front of your body. I would recommend a few exercises for the lower back as well, like lying on your front and rasing your shoulders off the ground like you are trying to touch the ceiing.

You might want to try a yoga class or pilates. I know that it isnt macho but if you want to strengthen your core some times its a must!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you want golf specific exercises, try TPI.com. They have quite a few videos and pieces of advice. You can also download their TV programme from iTunes for about £10 for the series.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You might want to try a yoga class or pilates. I know that it isnt macho but if you want to strengthen your core some times its a must!
Would certainly recommend Pilates over Yoga for golf, though either better than doing zilch. Plank and crunches excellent for low space/at home work.

Basher

Tour Winner
Thanks for the replies guys.

Not too keen on wearing lycra!!! Might try the home exercises to try and strengthen up a bit. Any more decent exercises would be great.

Looking to get shut of the spare tyre this year too. Best ways to target this spread would be welcome guys?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
you should get professional advice before taking up excercises such as 'crunches' - if your sore back is disc related you could end up with serious problems very quickly.

generally you will find that core strengthening exercises are about precise, specific small excercises done to a strict regime. they will make a huge difference to most people and probably deliver a bigger performance advantage to golfers than just about any other group (well maybe pregnant women....)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
generally you will find that core strengthening exercises are about precise, specific small excercises done to a strict regime. they will make a huge difference to most people and probably deliver a bigger performance advantage to golfers than just about any other group

Sorry to take this a little off topic but I have a question.

What benefit would core strengthening exercises have to an average height skinny bloke with a reasonable golf swing?

I've often thought about doing something about my lack of strength/fitness but I am fundamentally lazy. Would there be a little benefit to my game, or a big one, or is it a 'it depends' question?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
think of it this way Region3, the core muscles are the ones that connect your shoulders/back/pelvis/hips. They act unconciously. Most people will never have cause to even think about them. However, if they get weakened through injury, or switch off (rehabilitation following trauma/surgery etc) you miss them big time!

working on them through such activities as pilates has been shown to improve posture, increase resistance to injury etc and for golfers will mean such things as reduced impact from fatigue through the round, better dynamic balance, less likelyhood of the subconcious restricting turning etc

I'm not in the pilates industry, I'm an ex rugby prop who's body is falling to pieces around him whose seen the benefits and wishes he'd had the benefits of the sort of training now given instead of spending hours on squats, presses and crunches!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
think of it this way Region3, the core muscles are the ones that connect your shoulders/back/pelvis/hips. They act unconciously. Most people will never have cause to even think about them. However, if they get weakened through injury, or switch off (rehabilitation following trauma/surgery etc) you miss them big time!

working on them through such activities as pilates has been shown to improve posture, increase resistance to injury etc and for golfers will mean such things as reduced impact from fatigue through the round, better dynamic balance, less likelyhood of the subconcious restricting turning etc

I'm not in the pilates industry, I'm an ex rugby prop who's body is falling to pieces around him whose seen the benefits and wishes he'd had the benefits of the sort of training now given instead of spending hours on squats, presses and crunches!

Thanks for the reply Duncan.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You will not strengthen your core muscles with crunches or situps.

Pilates have many exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles that support the lower spine, these muscles are strong when we are young but as we do not exercise them they tend to become weak and allow the back to bend incorrectly, putting pressure on the lower vertebrae.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
just have loads of regular sex, I bet that sorts out the core muscles ;)

Ok, on a serious note, I am actually looking at joining a local gym and kicking the ciggies into touch. Being skinny like yourself Gary (Region3) I dont really exercise as tbh I dont think I need it. Now after passing 40 I have realised I am severely unfit and definitely lost a bit of strength and most definitely any suppleness.

Might have to check out some pilates :)

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
I do a lot of martial arts (Krav maga) and mma type stuff and I swear this benefits my golf in terms of core strength, fast muscles rather than huge bulk, and overall flexibility and power.

Might be worth looking for local classes, cant do any harm.

Also go out and buy a 5kg medicine ball and some resistance bands... trawl through youtube and mytpi.com
for videos on core and flexibility work... nearly all exercises can be done at home

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You will not strengthen your core muscles with crunches or situps.

Of course you will, just not as much as an all round set of core exercises. If you can get hold of the individual DVDs then P90x "Ab Ripper" "Core Synergistics" and "Yoga X" are all excellent for strengthening the core but you will need to be in reasonable shape before you start.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well after reading this thread I decided to do a pilates class with my girlfriend tonight. Apart from being the only bloke in there and feeling slightly uncomfortable to begin with, it was pretty good.

I spoke to the instructor afterwards who was also a physio and she said it will do wonders for my golf with regards to posture and balance. She also said I need to work on my flexibility haha

Basher

Tour Winner
Well after reading this thread I decided to do a pilates class with my girlfriend tonight. Apart from being the only bloke in there and feeling slightly uncomfortable to begin with, it was pretty good.

I spoke to the instructor afterwards who was also a physio and she said it will do wonders for my golf with regards to posture and balance. She also said I need to turn up in a leotard next time haha

Sorted it for you richy!!! :rofl:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

I spoke to the instructor afterwards who was also a physio and she said it will do wonders for my golf with regards to posture and balance. She also said I need to work on my flexibility haha

well done

it will would be really interesting if you stick at it and post again in 3 months - preferably linked to this thread.