Grip it Right a lesson learned / start of many faults -The Result

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Some would of seen recently a few posts from me trying to sort out my swing

I had developed a snap hook, hook sometimes slice generally my swing had gone for good, no confidence left apart from an improving short game.

Like many of us i posted a plea for help and some good tips were suggested but i can now divulge the fault and the cure

First a bit of learning history, in my 4 / 5 years of playing i have had approx 20 lessons most at the start, and last year a group of 6 lessons from a very good Pro (? ) to improve my swing and lose my slice etc etc

During all that time i always felt my right hand grip was not correct, but the Pro never tried to change it and told me it was not why i was slicing, it was my out to in path, ok i accept that for now.

This month i had a new issue a horrible snap hook, mainly with the driver etc etc

Anyway the fault was beyond doubt my grip, right hand mainly, left hand a bit and by chance i found at home that gripitrite thing that clips on the club to place your hands and let you swing etc. This little tool alone confirmed my poor grip positions

I also spent several hours studying Hogans and others how to grip etc etc and was convinced my grip was poor

Then i went to the range armed with 7 iron ( fitted with gripitrite ) driver and 3 wood

Took a few practice swings with the 7 iron and it felt very weird at the top and very odd as i approached the ball at impact. At this point it would of been easy to revert back to my comfy grip but i didnt and kept swinging.

I was very surprised at how different the swing felt with my new improved Vardon grip !

Now after a few 7 irons shots which were excellent i pulled out the driver and gripped it with my now correct grip

well the results were outstanding, mostly straight, slight draw etc but i felt so much more in control at impact and i could really up my swing speed and my distance increased nearly 50 yds

As i became more confident with my new swing based on new grip i did find by minor tweeks to the left hand i could introduce a fade or draw but still with the improved distance.

I came away very pleased with myself and concluded this

1. i had managed to find the fault and cure it pat on the back for me !
2. Why did three golf Pros never correct this and let me continue with a bad grip
3. Gripitrite is a great little device to put on any club to teach correct hand positions

hope my feedback helps others, i am now a true believer that the grip left and right hands is the most important thing in golf in starting to achieve a decent swing, i thought i knew this and also thought my grip was acceptable how wrong was i !

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
No comments ?

How many believe you have a correct grip ?

Me!

Having started playing with a Baseball grip (getting down to 12), a new club and more time and access to a Pro was the trigger for committing to changing from my Hockey swing to a proper Golf one. First change was the grip which took 5 mins to set and 3 or 4 ranges sessions to get comfortable with. Initially had a tendency to get a bit strong, but has been pretty much forgettably perfect since. Practice with a Momentus, which had/has a training grip also helped 'seal' that part of the set-up. Can't say that alignment was/is so easy to get/keep right though.

@Chrisd. What a peculiar statement that was by the Pro!

Last edited:

ma_bass

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just about to hit the range with a view to changing my grip. Been reading Hogans 5 lessons so gonna see how I get on. Always used the interlocking grip (even though I have big hands) so looking forward to seeing the results! Anybody changed from interlocking to overlap grip??