Story of a Golf Club

• Thread starter Deleted member 3432
  • Start date

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I've never played a course like it. The dunes are towering and the rough was so lush that if one of us put a ball in it, it was lost. The strange thing was that normally you might find a stray lost one as you search for your own, not at Sillolth, I never found one ball.
The wind was not particularly strong according to the forecast, 20 to 25. You have a very short par 3 somewhere on the front, probably the only hole where you see the sea (the 9th, 121 yds?). The wind was in, I punched a 6 iron in for what was probably shot of the day. Somewhere on the back, maybe 14 or 17, long hole. The wind was behind and I hit PW through the green playing to a pin that was 178 away.
I spoke to the Pro after dinner. I was curious about the guy who held the course record. 62 if I remember correctly, his card was in the bar. The Pro spent a half hour tell me exactly just how good a golfer he was.
If Silloth was anywhere else it would be on the Open rota, and the Pro's would wet their pants at the thought of what faced them.
I'll be back some day.......fabulous.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Cracking course - video is beautifully filmed, chat is a staid/bit old fashioned compared to most of the current popular stuff on YouTube theses days, but that's maybe the style of the 'Cookie Jar' people (they don't really have a lot of stuff up yet and nothing else like this format - and from the point of view of someone who edits some video there's an odd bit of continuity - one of the two players is using a trolley as they start the round, but we see two carry bags on one of the greens - I suspect the guy filming was playing too and it's his carry bag but as he's not shown at all it jars with me a bit.

As I said though - lovely filming and a superb course, I'll have to get back there again one day.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
We played it on the way to Turnberry a couple of years back. It was so cold and windy, I thought my ears had fallen off after the first 9.

It was so golf that day the Geordies were wearing bobble hats! :)

Rubbish video, no mention of the fish & chips!!!!

Actually, it's really nicely done, a marvellous place to play golf.

Last edited:
Visit site
Very well presented video.
I must make the effort to go and play Silloth.
Haven't been near the town since we used to race motorcycles there in the mid 70s.

D

Deleted member 3432

Very well presented video.
I must make the effort to go and play Silloth.
Haven't been near the town since we used to race motorcycles there in the mid 70s.

Nothing will have changed in the town.

I remember my dad taking me to see the 'Hell Drivers', basically a huge demolition derby.